Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

CD player problem

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2024, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CD player problem

My 2004 Silverado still has the factory radio+CD player. Both still work but the CD player has a problem. Often when I try to insert a new CD the CD will not go all the way in. I can sometimes push on the edge of the CD and get it to go in an load. After that the CD will play normally. A CD will eject just fine.
My first thought was the bit of brush that the CD has to pass thru might be a problem. On closer look does not seem to be the problem. Before i tear into the unit thought I would ask if anyone has dealt with this before. I get the unit is 20 years old and may be some of the pivot points mat just be worn.

Second question; has anyone replaced the factory unit with a CD/radio unit. If so, can you give the type and maybe model number? I would like a plug in sort if any have had succes that way. In the distant past I upgraded cassette players into cars and had to splice wires, so guess I can do that .
Old January 11th, 2024, 4:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 672 Likes on 610 Posts

just find an aftermarket unit that fits (websites have lookup tools), a bezel kit, and harness adapter. Scosche and Crutchfield have good selections.
The following users liked this post:
sk47 (January 11th, 2024)
Old January 11th, 2024, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, Mr. Joe is right. Crutchfield had all the parts I needed and great customer service. My best advice is to get the harness that retains the warning chime. Its around 50 bucks, but made my life much easier. You just match the wire colors. Super easy
The following users liked this post:
sk47 (January 11th, 2024)
Old January 12th, 2024, 2:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigog007
Yep, Mr. Joe is right. Crutchfield had all the parts I needed and great customer service. My best advice is to get the harness that retains the warning chime. Its around 50 bucks, but made my life much easier. You just match the wire colors. Super easy
What does the warning chime do or prevent? For $50 it must be something good.

Just inherited a 2002 1500 with CD player plus cassette (lol). CD just takes them in and spits them out. Not even touching the cassette but it is quaint. I remember when 8-Tracks were king. At least the radio works.
Been checking out Crutchfield. My only purchase from them was in 1982. They were #1 back then, too. Had to wash a lot of dishes to buy that stereo, but it was bliss.

What did you end up buying?
Old January 12th, 2024, 3:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 672 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by RBailey
What does the warning chime do or prevent? For $50 it must be something good.
I'm not sure what year it started, but all vehicle sounds are now played through there stereo ...
turn signals, door ajar chime, key chime, seatbelt chime, headlight etc.
Old January 15th, 2024, 3:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you, Joe. Never realized it before.
Old May 10th, 2024, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hello; I started this thread a while back. had intended to find a factory unit and try to either just replace my old CD/radio or see if I could repair my original unit. My radio & CD still plays fine. The issue is when inserting a CD. Does not want to go in. I can eventually get it pushed in. Ejects fine.
My new question is about what i may have learned. From what i find my radio/CD will lock if removed. An anti theft thing i believe. I did some searching and found some information on how to save codes but am not sure I follow all the instructions.
may have been a blessing i did not buy a used unit a few weeks ago.
Gues i am asking how to know if my radio is the kind which locks if removed the wrong way and maybe any pointers on how to go about this?
Old May 12th, 2024, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like alot of work bro. Why not just buy a new cd player? I love my audio streaming with my new JVC cd player. It was 119.00 at Best Buy.
Old May 13th, 2024, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Hello; I have not rejected the idea. Back decades ago i did that sort of thing often. Guess it has been so long and the computer llinkages now have me concerned. I use to have to splice in the new cassette or CD player into the factory harness. My question being was the new JVC CD player a plug and play install?
I like JVC products.
thanks
Old May 18th, 2024, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Yes it is plug and play. And I highy recommend getting the wire harness that retains all the warning chimes. There was no guessing on what wire to connect to each other. Just match the wires from the cd player harness to the harness im taking about and it plugs right into the truck. Hope that makes sense...

Quick Reply: CD player problem