Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Dead fuelpump or passlock issue? Or should I even bother with it/

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2018, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dead fuelpump or passlock issue? Or should I even bother with it/

Truck I'm about to get has no fuel pump action. Relay clicks but thats it. Fuse is good. When I open the door, "Security" flashes, But once the doors closed its off or when the key is turned on. Truck will run on starting fluid so it has spark. Did have some home made backwoods starter kill contraption using 3 relays, a led, and a switch that when activated, the key would sound the horn. That was quickly removed.
Truck is in rough shape. Bought in TX, moved to LA, then back to TX. Chassis is covered in surface rust and crud but no rot that I've seen on it or body. I checked both grounds at the tank and under driver door. Both are clean. Did the 10 minute trick and still nothing.
'01 with the 5.3 and has an oil leak either at the rear or up top in the rear and the pan and filter area is covered. Trans may also have a leak. Truck has 193K on the clock. Oil and filler cap look clean. So did the TB when I opened it. Engine hasn't ran long enough to know if it knocks or what all works. No codes stored as battery was dead since last October when the truck was seized and definitely no history on it.
So how can I get the pump to run long enough to know if its worth fixing or let the boneyards start bidding? I banged the hell out of the tank and nothing.
Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2018, 7:47 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Jump the fuel pump at the relay, if no gas, fuel pump. I suspect fuel pump.
Old January 28th, 2018, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Yep. Fuel pump was totally dead. 194K miles on the original isn't bad though. Truck has a miraid of issues though... Paint is shot, door moulding on one side is missing and falling off, huge dent in bed, scratches all over, no front valance, interior is disgusting, a/c doesn't work, power mirrors are finicky, engine leaks oil, needs battery and all 4 tires, power steering rumbles when turning, chassis is covered in surface rust, don't think it's ever been cleaned, both rear bump stops missing. Haven't done a road test yet. But, it does run smooth and quiet and doesn't smoke or burn oil from what I can see. Nor over heat.
What should I offer for it now that I got it running? Can't post pics on Mobile.
Old January 28th, 2018, 4:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like what I drive, 01 pickup depending on your location could fetch $1k or better.
Old January 28th, 2018, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

A clean one with slightly less miles goes for $3K and up. Mostly depends on who and what it has.