Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fog Lamps Not Working

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2018, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lamps Not Working

I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 in which the factory fog lamps suddenly stopped working. Below is what I've checked so far:
1.) Confirmed the 10A fog lamp fuse is good
2.) Confirmed the fog lamp relay is good (I swapped it with another identical relay in the fuse box)
3.) Confirmed both fog lamp light bulbs are good (I jumped the relay and could manually turn on both fog lamps)
4.) Replaced the fog lamp switch in the dash

After all that, the fog lamps still do not work. Does anyone have any suggestion(s) on what I should try next? Again, these are original factory installed fog lamps that suddenly stopped working after 17 years of use.

Any advice to fix this problem is appreciated.

Thank you
Old August 26th, 2018, 3:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Does the relay click when turned on with the switch? If it does then the wires from the relay to the lights are bad. If it does not then there is a short between the switch and the relay. Not sure which relay you have but most of them have a 30 & 87 pin. If you jumper these 2 corresponding pins in the fuse box the lights should come on which will test the circuit from the relay to the lights.
Old August 30th, 2018, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Old Chevy,

Thank you for your reply. There is no click from the rely when the fog lamp is switched on. I believe I have confirmed there is no signal getting to the relay. There is no power going to relay when the fog lamp button is pushed. Here is what the relay terminals are doing:
Pin 85 = power when key is turned on (no power when key is turned off)
Pin 30 = power 100% all the time
Pin 87 = no power (turned key on, turned lights on, push fog lamp button,... never any power)
Pin 86 = no power (turned key on, turned lights on, push fog lamp button,... never any power)
I can get the fog lamps to turn on if I jump 30 and 87 on the relay.

Do you have any other advice/suggestions I can try? What about the Body Control Module? I'm not sure if the fog lamp signal is going thru the BCM, and possibly that is interrupting the signal? Thanks again for your help.

Thank you
Old August 30th, 2018, 9:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

The simplest way might be to just wire the fog lights directly to a switch and fuse and use them this way like we used to do.
Old September 1st, 2018, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Are there any past or present GM techs out there that can help me with factory fog lamps not working on a 2001 Silverado? Confirmed switch is good, relay is good, fuse is good, light bulbs are good. I can jump 85 and 86 on the relay, and turn on the fog lamps, which tells me there is no signal getting to the relay. I'm a decent mechanic, but this has me really baffled. Does the fog lamp signal pass thru the BCM? Could the BCM be interrupting the fog lamp signal to the relay? Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you