Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fuel pump,Gas and oil gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2015, 3:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump,Gas and oil gauge issues

Hi All

I have a 2005 5.3 v8 4x4 with about 98,000 miles on it. My first issue is that at certain speeds 40-43 & 50-55mph the truck seems to sputter( for lack of a better word) a bit. If I'm pushing on the gas pedal with normal force I get this issue but if I press harder on it and accelerate faster it doesn't seem to do it. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the fuel pump and its a spark plug/wire issue which I'm going to replace in the next week and hopefully that will solve the issue.

Has any one had this problem? Replacing the fuel pump doesn't look fun or easy and I don't really want to tackle trying to get to it if I don't have to. Anything else that I should into beforehand? If I have to change it it looks like I will have to take the bed of the truck off.

The next set of issues are that the gas and oil gauge have stopped working. The gas gauge moves but it's 180 degrees from where it's supposed to be( the dial is on the bottom and moves) My low gas light still comes on and the electronic display still let's me know how many miles till empty.

Is there a quick fix to this? If I have to replace the fuel pump because of the issue above I'm sure this will fix the gauge as well

The oil gauge reads 80+psi. I saw a video showing me how to replace the sensor and it looks relatively easy to do. Any tips before I tackle this issue?

I don't know if it's the sensors that went out about the same time or the instrument cluster. My other gauges seem to work so I don't believe it to be the instrument cluster.
Old December 26th, 2015, 8:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

From 2003 to 2006 GM had a problem with the stepper motors for the gauges. They will probably all go bad. I put new stepper motors in my Trailblazer several years ago. If you can solder then it is not hard at all. I bought the 6 of them on EBay for $25. Your other problem might be you just need a tune up.

Last edited by oldchevy; December 26th, 2015 at 9:59 AM.
Old December 26th, 2015, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks I will check out the stepper motors. I hate taking my car to a dealer or garage for tune ups if I can do it myself.
Old December 26th, 2015, 10:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

That is why we are here. To help each other.
Old December 26th, 2015, 3:10 PM
CF Veteran

If you can get a fuel pressure gauge on it and drive it I would, fuel pumps are pretty common issues and I've never heard of or seen a "tune up" being picky as to what mph it decides to act up although at 98k if you haven't done plugs/wires they do need done.

The cluster/motors are bad, there is no quick fix if the needle has spun around other than disassembly/replacement
Old December 28th, 2015, 2:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by troutbum
Thanks I will check out the stepper motors. I hate taking my car to a dealer or garage for tune ups if I can do it myself.
We can definitely help you out on this! We offer GM stepper motors as well as doing everything with GM clusters. Mileage, hourmeter, GM dealer programming. Just let us know what you need and we can assist!

GM Switec X27.168 Stepper Motor

Keep us posted on it and let us know if you have any questions at all.