Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Gas is pouring out of this... Help Please

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2016, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas is pouring out of this... Help Please

I have a 1999 Silverado with a 5.3L. I have been smelling fuel the last few days and after investigating where it is coming from, it's Pouring out of the rectangle shaped canister in front of the gas tank. I think it's the EVAP canister? What is causing this, and what's the fix? It's Pouring out! The thing with the Big Red "X" is where the gas is pouring out.
Old March 15th, 2016, 9:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

it is the evap canister.

the tank vents fuel vapour into the canister. raw fuel should not be getting into the canister unless the tank is grossly overfilled.

is the leak from the top of the tank and leaking down onto the canister.

is the leak active only when the fuel pump is running or pressurized
it seems more likely that a fuel feed or return line is leaking...inspect the fuel lines above the canister.
Old March 15th, 2016, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, only leaks when the truck is running. It looks to be leaking on top of this canister and running down? I need to get the truck up on a lift, but when the truck is running, it's pouring out... Bad. Not a drip, pouring out.
Last fall, I had New one piece fuel lines put on from the fuel pump to the fuel rail. I also had a New fuel pump, fuel pump seal and new fuel pump ring put on.

Originally Posted by tech2
it is the evap canister.

the tank vents fuel vapour into the canister. raw fuel should not be getting into the canister unless the tank is grossly overfilled.

is the leak from the top of the tank and leaking down onto the canister.

is the leak active only when the fuel pump is running or pressurized
it seems more likely that a fuel feed or return line is leaking...inspect the fuel lines above the canister.
Old March 15th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

disconnect the vent line from the tank at the canister...then prime the pump and watch if it comes out of the line....that is the canisters only connection to the tank.

removing the driveshaft should give you enough room to see the top of the tank....or use an inspection mirror