1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Gas problems

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2018 | 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gas problems

I've got a 2000 Chevy 2500 pickup that I bought back in May from a buddy's grandpa.
I've found that every time I go to fill the gas tank as soon as the pump shuts off gas leaks out from gas tank somewhere. I think. I can't figure out where it's coming from but it always spits out a nice puddle of gas.
In the last couple weeks I noticed when I shut it off and got out I could smell gas. It wasn't very strong but it was there. Yesterday it was worse. I could smell it in the cab on the way work and it when got there it reeked. I could still smell it about an hour later when I walked by it.
May not be relevant but for the first 5-10ish minutes after I start it, it does not want to accelerate. It'll idle forward fine but if I give it any gas it starts to go then just loses all power and then poof it's fine. I won't have any other issues with after wards. Doesn't seem to matter if it I let it warm up in park or if been sitting for 5 minutes.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them before I start tearing into.