Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

going in and out of limp mode

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2024, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going in and out of limp mode

So ima start off and say thank you and I apologize for the ignorance.

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500Hd has the 6.0 in it. Going get it out there. Got the truck off a guy at buy here pay here. I know that’s my first mistake. But I loved this truck didn’t care what need get done the motor and tranny runs strong for the miles and year.
as in of geting it and to now. When I first got it it was very loud and little lack in power but it sounded great when come to the sound the motor and tranny. I drove it back forth to work. 2 weeks in I hit bump and (reduced engine speed) poped up and lost the power. Went straight into limp mood. Turn it off let set turn back on drove it home with no more problems. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. I got off work went out my truck and as soon I started it. Went straight into (reduced engine speed) trued to turn off and turn back on after few moments. The dang thing wouldn’t come out of it. First though. Ground problems. Easy fix. Went ahead got some wires and plugs just to get here ticker back up and moving little better. Drove after replacing things and it was great ran heck of a lot better. Fast forward to this and half of this week today is ( June 25, 2024 ) it’s been going in and out of limp mood. Iv some what got it dialed in on somewhat of the problem. Definitely a wiring problem I know of that for sure come of yesterday. Replaced 3 wires in the wiring harness going to the inside of the driver rocker panel. I new them wires wasn’t my problem as of they go to the back they was tail lights and the plug in for the trailer. But the wires going to the fuse panel on top left the wire harness plug in I think colors are some what off top the head ( black, tan, a pinkish color and think a tan with black line I think I missing one more) but as of turning truck off when in limp mood. I have learn if I push them wires around to try get them make better connections soon start the truck it runs great. Iv ran the scanner and it’s throwing 28 if not more codes. So thinking on next step is to replace the tires for + & -. With new battery. Also thought of getting new alternator. But driving home today the temp cluster gage just died out and droped truck was runing good as I was driving. But anything from someone would be very much appreciated in advance. Not scared get my hands dirty as I do HVAC for living. Iv worked on many vehicles and bikes. But I’m kinda at a disadvantage at this point with this thing. I just payed the dude 10k for truck as of he was going take it back and for that I felt I need to get the upper hand on it and just pay the dang thing off in cash. The guy very shady and says he doesn’t no much about it but there’s been two plugs that Iv unplugged and they have had sand in them as I live in Florida we have hurricanes and larger amounts of rain fall for flooding to happen and for that I feel like this truck has been under or some what in past its doors with water. The wires I replaced they was completely black as of salt water will corrode copper wire in that manner.

Sorry for the big message but Iv had a lot going on with this truck and it’s my daily to and from work. Any help is good help.
THANK YOU!!!!🙏

Last edited by 04LS2HiLlBiLlY; June 25th, 2024 at 3:27 PM.
Old July 4th, 2024, 1:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed sensor possibly ......

Hey so first off that sucks ..... but sounds simple I would get it scanned at autozone oriellys etc and if you can afford some tech get a launch pad off Amazon 😉 a little spendy but a huge time saver. (800$) but so worth the investment for years to come and free updates.
I would post the codes if it isn't straight forward.
But because the cut out is when there is potential jerking in the tires if you have a bare wire rubbing etc... just the grounding would trip the computer .... limp mode.... initial thought