Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

HELP!! 06 5.3L Starts/dies + low fuel light & no gear indicator!

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2021, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! 06 5.3L Starts/dies + low fuel light & no gear indicator!

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here and I'll try and be as descriptive as possible. This whole electrical nightmare on my 2006 Silverado started after I noticed my starter was starting to go bad. The truck has 218k miles and it looked to be original. I replaced some rotted tranny lines and replaced the starter a few days later. Everything was fine until I disconnected the battery and replaced the starter. Now after reconnecting the battery and attempting to start the truck, it starts for a split second and dies. The low fuel light is on even though it has a full tank and I can smell raw fuel if I try to start it enough times. I also have no gear indicator lights or reverse lights. Now the passlock light doesn't come on unless I try to start the truck and leave the key on for about a minute, then it shows up and stays on.

Also, back when the starter was having issues I had put the key to the ON position and applied 12v directly to pin 87 on the starter relay to get the starter moving. I'm sure you guys are familiar with that hack if your ignition is bad or neutral safety switch is out. All was fine after doing that the first time. Truck started with the key no problem. The day of the starter replacement I had tried that again because turning the key didn't get the starter going. I assumed the armature in the starter was old and must have been locked up. Applying 12v to that pin did not get the starter moving, so I then disconnected the battery and proceeded to replace the starter. Obviously the new starter works perfect, but the starts then die issue started after this.

I've checked every single fuse and relay and they are all good. Also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery numerous times. I'm at my wits end and in desperate need of some help. I can't be the only one this has happened to, since our trucks are so common and all seem to have the same issues. I'm wondering if there is an issue with the ECM, like corroded wires and what not. I do know the gear indicator lights run off ECM communication. So I'm at a loss this point and really want to get my truck going again. Thankfully I have a second vehicle, but winter is coming and I definitely need the truck for the snow!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old September 16th, 2021, 9:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

You need to check both battery cables for green grunge disease. Easiest way to check the positive battery cable is to measure the voltage drop across it. You can also check it by comparing the cranking voltage at the battery to the cranking voltage at the starter with a digital multimeter. If the two voltages are more than about 0.1 VDC different, you have a bad positive battery cable.

I would also check the negative battery cable by comparing the battery voltage with the headlights on, to the voltage read when the negative test lead is connected to an engine ground and the positive test lead is connected to the battery's positive terminal. Again, any difference more than about 0.1 VDC indicates a bad battery cable.

Also, you could remove the battery cables and push back some of the insulation to see if you see nice bright copper or grungy green copper oxide.

I would also get the battery load tested to make sure it is not bad.

Good Luck!
Old September 16th, 2021, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chem_man
You need to check both battery cables for green grunge disease. Easiest way to check the positive battery cable is to measure the voltage drop across it. You can also check it by comparing the cranking voltage at the battery to the cranking voltage at the starter with a digital multimeter. If the two voltages are more than about 0.1 VDC different, you have a bad positive battery cable.

I would also check the negative battery cable by comparing the battery voltage with the headlights on, to the voltage read when the negative test lead is connected to an engine ground and the positive test lead is connected to the battery's positive terminal. Again, any difference more than about 0.1 VDC indicates a bad battery cable.

Also, you could remove the battery cables and push back some of the insulation to see if you see nice bright copper or grungy green copper oxide.

I would also get the battery load tested to make sure it is not bad.

Good Luck!

The battery cables look pretty nice and the battery is also only a few months old. The wires on the starter solenoid were definitely green and crusty and I cleaned them quite a bit before hooking them up to the new starter. I'll definitely take a longer look at all the wires when I get a chance. Was just hoping someone else had the same issue and had an easy fix.

Thanks man!
Old September 16th, 2021, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The world's worst animal strikes again....MICE! Pulled the main fuse box up to find many chewed up wires and one green wire chewed right through. Fixed the wires and truck is good as new! That one green wire must have something to so with the ECM, as my scan tools wouldn't communicate with it befor I fixex the wires. Ugh what are the odds on the timing when it all happened too. Pics below!

Old September 16th, 2021, 10:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Yes, mice can do a real number, I had to repair 2 wires that they chewed through at the connector for the neutral safety switch on our '99 Buick Century a few months back. Nasty vermin!!!! They need to be exterminated off the face of the earth!

Thanks for letting us know!