Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Help! Engine sputters out like it's out of fuel!!

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2017, 2:38 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Engine sputters out like it's out of fuel!!

2001 Chevy Silverado
6 cylinder

Engine runs for a few seconds and sputters out as if it's running out of gas.

Fuel pressure was fine around 50ish, we were still having trouble so we replaced the fuel pump regardless. Replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, fuel filter.

We can run the engine if we spray fuel into the intake, and it can race full power like that. It runs smoothly for 7 seconds or so sometimes until it sputters down like it's starving for fuel. We used an air compressor to blow out the fuel lines to make sure there weren't any odd plugs, to no avail.

The most progress we've made was we got it to run smoothly for around 15 seconds after using fuel injector cleaner, but then it went right back to what it was doing prior. The fuel definitely gets from the tank to the top of the engine, and the pressure is great.

The biggest puzzle is that it ran perfectly fine a week ago (it had been in a crash prior and we rebuilt most of the front end, last week we were mostly done and got it to run more than 3 miles around town for almost 30 minute cruise around town), it ran as if one cylinder wasn't firing though, a quiet ba-dump could be distinguished if you listened well enough.. but it ran. That's when we decided to replace all the spark plugs and wires just in case, after we did that it stopped starting up reliably.

We put gunk in the spark plug wires to attach them easier, so I'm thinking maybe that could be cutting off the electrical connection or something? At this point I'm at a loss, we've replaced about half the parts on the truck with new ones and it's still having issues. Next week I'm thinking we'll start looking for a bad ground or something because my computer can't read the truck for whatever reason. Any ideas?
Old October 24th, 2017, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 did the same thing. Ultimately found a shorted 5 volt wire. It was disrupting the voltage for the MAP sensor.