Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Intermittent fuel cutoff

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2018, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent fuel cutoff

Hi everyone! I hope you all can help me with some badly needed guidance with this issue. The fuel system has been cutting out on me recently. I was on my way home and as I made left turn the truck suddenly died, no sputtering, just instant shutoff. I looked at the fuel gauge and it was on empty with the light on. I thought “man I must’ve blanked on the fuel and ran out of gas. I put 5 gals in from a can and the gauge is still on empty with the light on. I listen for the fuel pump and hear nothing. I read about the fuel pump/fuel gauge connector coming loose so I raised the bed a bit and inspected the connectors. I unplugged them to see if they were burned or corroded. They looked good so I plugged them back in. On a hunch, I decided to try it. I turned the key and the fuel gauge went to 3/4 tank. I spun it and it fired right up. I drove the truck a couple days and out of the blue it died on me again. Same thing, fuel gauge on empty, fuel light on, fuel range on the cluster says “- - -“ (its always either given a range in numbers, or just read “Low”) also the cluster reads “check brake booster”. Crank no start condition. NO MIL. NO Security light. Again fuel pump not running. Again I tried unplugging/reconnecting the fuel pump connectors but it had no effect. I swapped the relay with the DRL relay, no effect. I smacked the fuel tank with a hammer...nothing. I decided to try to crank it one last time before I started walking and I turned the key and saw the fuel level rise. I knew then it would crank, it fired up and got me home. With 140K on it everyone seemed to think it “was about time” to replace the pump unit. I sprung for the Delphi unit and ordered the part. I drove the truck for 3 days while waiting on the part to arrive with no problems. When it arrived I replaced it. I thoughroughly disassembled and inspected the old unit and could find no problems with it. No deterioration in the plastics, no evidence of heat in the connectors, no corrosion, the sock wasn’t even dirty. But I replaced it anyway hoping there was an internal issue I just couldn’t see. About 4 hours running this new pump the truck dies in the same exact fashion on a straitaway. This time I have my electrical testing tools on hand and attempt to troubleshoot this fuel system on the roadside. Of course I check all the fuses and relays and found no fuses to be blown and the relays (isolated) to be closing with voltage applied. I also checked the grounds on back of the engine for tightness or broken wires. With all that looking ok I then get my meter out to start checking signals. First I check the “prime” terminal for the initial 2 second signal when the ignition is turned to the on position. I find no signal at this terminal. I remove the f/p relay and test the pump power supply and find it present, but no signal on the control side. I jumped the relay hoping I could get it to run long enough to get to a safer place to work on it. I jumped the terminals and hear the fuel pump kick on. I tried to start the truck but it would just crank and not start. At this point I am suspecting it is something to do with the pcm. I inspect the cables and don’t find any broken wires or other visible damage. I also give up and call a tow truck to get me home. While waiting for the truck I decided to give it one last crank and what do ya know? She fired up! But only drove about five miles and died again, same old thing. I got it towed the rest of the way home. Tomorrow I plan to unplug the pcm and inspect the connectors for damage. Has anyone ever seen this before?
The entire fuel system seems to be intermittently shutting down, but no trouble codes, no mil, no security or airbag lights. Brand new Delphi pump with plenty of fuel pressure when the pcm decides to turn it on. Any help would be much, much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would also add that it is an obvious fuel problem. As tough as it is to manually squirt fuel past the “fly by wire” throttle when closed, I did and it will fire but not run. I was hoping to get enough in there for the pcm to see an “rpm signal” and signal the fuel pump, but no.

*update*
i just removed the pcm and ohmed out the cables between the pcm and fuel level sender and the pcm and fuel pump relay and found no notable resistance on any of these cables. What could be preventing the pcm from sending the fuel pump relay signal?

Last edited by Andrewvick; June 21st, 2018 at 3:13 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old November 24th, 2018, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent fuel cut off

It is the fuel relay that overheats. Find it under the hood fuse block and see if it is loose and hot as hell. Quick cheap and easy fix go to any parts store buy the fuse extender for a wire to fuse. Get it pull the relay trim the extender to the width of the relay prongs leave it long for now. Place the pieces into the relay socket and then trim it to the top of the junction box. Place the relay back in and your done. Did mine in August and my truck has not quit since. Cost was $3.00 . Better than paying over $300.00 for a garage to replace just the section of the fuse block. Hope this helps you.