Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Key fob programming issue..... I've searched

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2018, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob programming issue..... I've searched

I've searched and searched but apparently no one has ever had the problem I am with my 2000 silverado LS. The keyless entry doesn't work. I have bought a new remote and I have the original remote.

I tried and tried the programming method starting with holding the unlock button down and cycling the key twice. That never worked so I kept researching. I found info somewhere with programming instructions saying to hold the high beam on high in place of holding the unlock button. Using that method everything worked exactly as all of the instructions said....... Except for the actual fob working the locks.

It seems the system recognized the key fob since after holding down the lock/unlock for 30 or so seconds the locks cycled. But after that both key fobs do nothing. All of my research and nothing addresses this issue.

The only thing I wonder about is at least the driver's door on the truck is not original to the since the VIN on the door doesn't match the VIN on the truck. Unless the door is programmed to the BCM and their is some issue with that i wouldn't think that would be the case. The power lock should just be a motor.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 5:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by sactodreamer
I've searched and searched but apparently no one has ever had the problem I am with my 2000 silverado LS. The keyless entry doesn't work. I have bought a new remote and I have the original remote.

I tried and tried the programming method starting with holding the unlock button down and cycling the key twice. That never worked so I kept researching. I found info somewhere with programming instructions saying to hold the high beam on high in place of holding the unlock button. Using that method everything worked exactly as all of the instructions said....... Except for the actual fob working the locks.

It seems the system recognized the key fob since after holding down the lock/unlock for 30 or so seconds the locks cycled. But after that both key fobs do nothing. All of my research and nothing addresses this issue.

The only thing I wonder about is at least the driver's door on the truck is not original to the since the VIN on the door doesn't match the VIN on the truck. Unless the door is programmed to the BCM and their is some issue with that i wouldn't think that would be the case. The power lock should just be a motor.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
the key cycling method worked for me on my 2000 sierra. r u sure the new fob is correct?
you can go to any shop that have a decent scan tool and they can add the fobs with the scan tool. they will probably charge you 1/2hour labour. if it doesn't work with the scan tool...it may be a fob problem.

Last edited by tech2; December 2nd, 2018 at 5:44 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I might have to take it somewhere if I can't get it figured out. If I didn't still have the original fob that was programming the same as the new one I might think it could be the wrong fob.
Old December 4th, 2018, 1:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sactodreamer
Thanks, I might have to take it somewhere if I can't get it figured out. If I didn't still have the original fob that was programming the same as the new one I might think it could be the wrong fob.
As someone who has recently had to replace a door, no, that is not a factor. I have the stock key fob, and a aftermarket remote start that also works the locks, and they both still work the lock that works... My passenger side actuator is dead, but it was my driver door that was replaced.

Your situation is puzzling though. I've never heard about or seen your particular situation. I wonder if there is a signal issue of some sort like the antenna is damaged or something, But I couldn't even tell you where the antenna for the stock system would be, if there even is one.
Old December 4th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

module is behind the instrument cluster.
Old December 5th, 2018, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
module is behind the instrument cluster.
Yeah I saw that on someone's post before and pulled the instrument cluster out to unplug it but it looks like I'd have to pull a large part of the dashboard off to get to it. I did disconnected the battery for an hour hoping it might fix it but it didn't.