Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Parking brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2019, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake light stays on

I have an 04 Silverado Z-71. I decided to replace the brake pads and after replacing them the rear brakes were locked up. I didn’t realize they were locked at first so I drove it for several miles until I finally realized something wasn’t right. I saw many people had posted that this issue happened a lot and you might as well replace the rear calipers, which I did. After bleeding the brakes, now the parking brake light stays on in the dash and it is also saying service brake system. The brakes seem to be working fine but I don’t know why the lights are on. I am wondering if it has something to do with me driving it for a little while with the rear calipers now releasing. I checked the codes but nothing is showing up. Any ideas??
Old January 20th, 2019, 7:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Make sure the parking brake is fully released. Sometimes the parking brake pedal doesn't come back all the way up. Make sure the master cylinder is full of fluid and you may have to bleed the brakes again.
Old January 20th, 2019, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check

I topped the fluid off before I bled the brakes and after. I will check the parking brake but it was never engaged during this whole process. I will try bleeding them again, maybe that will help, thanks