Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Please help - can’t put gas

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2019, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help - can’t put gas

I have a 99 Silverado that recently hasn’t been taking gas I can put maybe 2 bucks at a time then pours out all over. Anybody have an idea what it could be? I know for a fact it’s not full.
Old July 30th, 2019, 1:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

do you have 99 old body style or 99 new body style. they are build differently.

a new bodystyle...when filling the air in the tank is displaced by the fuel...the air must vent thru the evaporative emission charcoal cannister...out the vent valve and out the vent filter...if any of these are plugged you will have a slow fill. pressure build up in the tank will shut off the fuel filling nozzle at the gas pump.

check engine line on? if there are any codes post them...and you may have a diagnosis starting point
Old July 30th, 2019, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
do you have 99 old body style or 99 new body style. they are build differently.

a new bodystyle...when filling the air in the tank is displaced by the fuel...the air must vent thru the evaporative emission charcoal cannister...out the vent valve and out the vent filter...if any of these are plugged you will have a slow fill. pressure build up in the tank will shut off the fuel filling nozzle at the gas pump.

check engine line on? if there are any codes post them...and you may have a diagnosis starting point

Yeah it’s an original body, and honestly the computer is locked. I wouldn’t know if the codes are on. It recently only started doing this. Also it has a 5.3 if that matters at all. Really trying to get running before school starts again.
Old July 30th, 2019, 6:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LB15
Yeah it’s an original body, and honestly the computer is locked. I wouldn’t know if the codes are on. It recently only started doing this. Also it has a 5.3 if that matters at all. Really trying to get running before school starts again.
original is not what i'm asking. old body style 99 looks like a 98 and older. new bodystyle looks like a 2000 to 2006.

if you can't retrieve codes...check the parts I suggested for blockage.

Or remove the tank vent line at the cannister and pour fuel from a gas can into the filler neck. if it fills normally...the blockage is anywhere from evap cannister back to the cannister filter.
Old July 30th, 2019, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Oh yes it’s old style. Okay will definitely check it out
Old August 1st, 2019, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

the old body style may have a different set up...I posted info for the new body style.