Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Someone please help! Can’t figure out 4x4.

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2018, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please help! Can’t figure out 4x4.

so I have an 03 Silverado 1500 with push button 4x4 and since I got this truck a few months ago the 4x4 hasn’t worked. The buttons will light up when I start the truck but after that they go away, sometimes the switch will stay on and start out in 4hi or whatever it feels like but I’m able to change it but after I change it and let it sit for a minute or so then I’m not able to change it again. I’ve changed the 4x4 switch, the actuator and spliced a new ground and ran it to the firewall since I was told the ground under the cab is a problem but still no change. My 4x4 will work when the switch decides to let it. I’ve gotten codes for basically everything that has to do with the 4x4 pretty much they all say have shorts. Any ideas on what to check next. I’m not very good with wiring so any tips would be great.
Old October 16th, 2018, 3:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

When you changed the actuator (new I assume) where you able to manually switch the transfer case using a wrench? I realize you changed the switch, but what you are posting still points to it. Is the condition the same with the new switch as with the old one? If so, contact cleaner might be all you need, dirty connection.
Old October 17th, 2018, 1:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, how/when are you trying to switch it? Are you sitting still or are you doing the procedure, roll at 5mph, trans to neutral, hit the 4h button, etc?
Old October 18th, 2018, 6:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .

Connection is clean I cleaned it all up. Nothing changed with the new switch and how do I switch it to 4x4 with a wrench? I didn’t know this could be done. I just need my 4x4 to work so I can take it out on the mountains and for when snow hits