Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Someone tried to steal my truck. Now key won't turn ignition to start it

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2018, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone tried to steal my truck. Now key won't turn ignition to start it

They took the housing off the column. Broke the steering wheel aduster off n it is stuck in lowest setting. Key will go in but will not turn. Single mom on tight budget. This is my only way to both my jobs .I need to know the least expensive way to fix it.
Old October 26th, 2018, 10:14 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to need a new switch. They aren't incredibly hard to do from what I remember.
Old October 26th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

contact a locksmith and get a quote. lock smiths are mobile and will come to you. a dealer will need the vehicle towed to them.

the lock cylinder will have to be replaced. the key must be turned to run to remove the lock cylinder. if you can't turn the key; removing the lock cylinder will be difficult...have a professional do this repair. if you figure out how to turn the key to run...all that is required is to push in a spring loaded tab and the cylinder will come out. If the electrical portion of the ignition switch has been unplugged...the electrical switch must be indexed correctly before installation.

the tilt function; hard to say without inspecting the damage.