Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2008 Silverado 1500 LT1, No air flow with heat or A/C

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2018, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Silverado 1500 LT1, No air flow with heat or A/C

Searched through all thee threads hoping to find an answer but actually left me with more questions in stead. As of this past week the North East has been brutally cold and of course this is when the heat decides to stop working in the truck. Hoping for some quick advice/ guidance being I need to get this fixed asap so my 1 r old doesn't freeze to death on the way to day care in the morning.

I start the truck, turn on the heat, try all speeds and temps, try auto, try manual, tried setting on dual climate control.....no matter what I get no air flow. Yesterday it began to work at random twice after driving for about 20-30 minutes. I was thinking perhaps there was a loose connection somewhere and with the super cold perhaps the wire had contracted just enough to break contact and after driving for a bit the heat form the engine compartment allowed the wire to expand just enough to pass voltage to the blower motor but after roughly a 1 hr drive today and nothing happening I get the feeling it was all just coincidence yesterday.

Reading through some Forums it seem'd promising that the most likely culprit is the Blower motor resistor but one forum indicated that when the fan speed is set to high, the blower resistor is bypassed so that would be eliminated being I get no air flow at all. I did notice today that the heater is working just no air flow. If I select vents and moving I can feel heat coming from the vent but the air flow appears to be coming from using the fresh air setting allowing air flow from the external air dam to move some warm air through the ducts.

I'm now thinking its the blower motor itself, but before I get into pulling the truck apart in this arctic cold wanted to see if anyone might have some other suggestions. or perhaps questions to assist with narrowing this down. I do have a volt meter and am a pretty mechanical and electrically inclined person so ordinarily troubleshooting and fixing something like this wouldn't pose an issue bu like I said Its brutally cold out and I'm under a bit of a time crunch.

Thanks All.
Old January 7th, 2018, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Figured it out. Figured I'd just head outside and start troubleshooting starting from the blower motor. Pulled the connector from the blower motor and tested for DC while I changed the fan speed and had voltage all the way so pulled the blower and using my battery charger I tested the blower and sure enough nothing. So ran to the parts store grabbed a new blower and installed it right there in the parking lot. Figured that was the issue but was hoping for a less costly fix. The new blower was $95.00 after tax, so not too bad. Any way got it all back together and now my truck is nice and toasty inside. Now Im hoping the old motor wasn't putting excessive load on the resistor this whole time. Just looking to buy as much time as I can till I trade it in. Truck runs great and so far no real big issues but this year I have had to replace far too many electronics and I fear it will continue to nickel and dime me now.

Thanks for the looks and perhaps my issue and solution will help others
The following users liked this post:
Yvonne Reeves (August 2nd, 2019)
Old August 2nd, 2019, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

did you find a solution? im having the same problem on my 08 Silverado.