Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

4.8L p0449 code troubles

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2016, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8L p0449 code troubles

I have a 2009 silverado 1500 crew cab and am getting the p0449 code. replaced the purge valve in the engine compartment but still get code. told it may be the vent solenoid but not sure of location. also told it may be an electrical problem
Old November 12th, 2016, 9:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0449
the vent solenoid will be connected to the evap cannister which is near the fuel tank. follow the purge line back to the tank area.
unplug the 2 wire connector. one wire should have 12volts with key on. the other is supplied grd by the ecm.
without a scan tool all you can do is probe the power wire with a test light to body grd. if the test light works...replace the vent solenoid.
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same code. I replaced the Canister vent valve and filter and it took care of the code. Drove it 3 weeks with no problem until now. Now I have code P0446. But when I replaced the Canister vent valve I also replaced the hose and when doing so I accidently made it to long so I think its bent and restricting the air flow. But anyhow you either have a clogged filter, clogged hose, clogged canister vent valve, or the vent valve or connector is faulty . To test your plug(connector) just turn the key on without starting the truck and use a meter to test the voltage. If you're getting 12Vs then your plug is good. Then I would run start 12Vs to the actual canister vent valve and see if you can hear it opening and closing as you apply power and remove power. If it's working then I'd bet you have a clogged hose or filter. Silverado's seem to be notorious for this. There have been issues with bugs getting in the hoses and clogging them up with nest too. I bought mine off amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was $50.00 and then I bought 5/8 hose too https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 All in and all I only had just under $60 and it fixed my code. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Scott B; January 26th, 2017 at 1:12 PM.
Old January 26th, 2017, 8:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

some inaccurate info:

-this code is a electrical circuit dtc. it sets due to voltage to high or to low detected by the ecm. A clogged filter or blocked vent path will not set this dtc.

-a meter will work, but the oem prefers to test this circuit with a test light. the bulb simulates a load... which a meter will not do.

the vent solenoid is supplied power at key on so all you have to do to test its function is supply grd. backprobe the grd wire with a jumper wire then grd the jumper wire.