Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Upper control arm suggestions for replacement

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2020, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper control arm suggestions for replacement

2012 Gmc Sierra 1500 (4WD)
Good morning, afternoon, or evening. I'm new to the lifted pickup thing. Did a little research but some things are hard to find on the web.
I am looking for upper control arms to replace the ones I currently have on the truck. I got it from a dealer but all he knew was it had a Rough Country 6" lift kit. It has 35s M/T and sitting on 20" rims, my issue us the ball joint is busted and its making that awful sound when you turn around corners and parking lots. I've searched on google for parts compatible with 6" lifts but I only see ones specifically for RC but it says it'll only work with 2-3.5" and 7" lifts. The others I find say 2-4". I don't want to go factory but I also don't wanna go crazy on money. I've had this issue for about 2 months. I see on the ball joints it has moog problem solver 50, but even when I type it up, it'll say the part doesn't fit and it'll direct me another way.

So my questions are should I go with the aftermarket 2-4" upper control arms and hope it doesn't throw my stabilizer off?
And the other question is what do you guys suggest as far as Upper control arms for 6" lifts. Or what have you done to keep everything stable?
I plan to get new shocks shocks but I just want to take care of the little things before they become big things ya know. Thank you to anyway who's got advice, and please be cool about it, I'm not mechanically inclined like some, but Im learning little here and little there. Enjoy the rest of your day fellas.

Old March 6th, 2020, 8:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

you can't go factory it won't be long enough to allow proper camber/caster adjustment.
The following users liked this post:
Urbancowboy1500 (March 6th, 2020)
Old March 6th, 2020, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

So I should definitely find another aftermarket control arm, but would I need to adjust it if I went with a part that's only allowed for 2-4" of ride height? I wouldn't know if I'm messin with it or not. Not too familiar with camber negatives and positives. My wheels do have spacers, probably 3 inches from the vehicle.
Old March 6th, 2020, 7:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

the caster camber adjustments are eccentrics on the uca mounts...so EVERY TIME a uca is replaced it needs an alignment. lifted vehicles need longer arms to get the caster camber in spec. if its lifted 6 inches...you need a control arm made for a 6 inch lift. the 2 or 3" uca may not have enough length to get the alignment in spec.
call the company and verify if they will work with your set up.
Old March 6th, 2020, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Gotcha, I understand what you mean, but yeah I've tried to find them specifically for my kit but they aren't available so I didn't wanna waste time calling but I guess I'll call somewhere. Probably gunna go the ball joint route probably a lot easier and no need for an alignment since I'm not taking the uca off. We'll see what happens. Thank you for the insight on camber adjustments. Wasn't sure if you had to do a wheel alignment after replacement