Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2015 Silverado 2500 radio malfunction

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2023, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Silverado 2500 radio malfunction

I've had intermittent radio malfunction since I bought the truck in 2016 with 9k miles. What happens most often while using sxm, is that it freezes and the screen goes partially blank (see pix) when this happens, the radio keeps playing but none of the controls work. Can't adjust volume, turn it off, or switch to USB or Bluetooth input. Turning off the ignition sometimes works to reset it but usually I have to wait several minutes for it to return to normal. Other times, it spontaneously switches between radio, USB, Bluetooth as though gremlins have taken it over. Other times, the screen goes black and there's no audio output. I've read forums and have seen plenty of people lamenting the issue and others giving advice, but haven't once seen anybody actually mention a permanent resolution to the problem. Do people get it fixed and forget about it? Has anybody actually resolved this problem? Bought an aftermarket radio and lived happily ever after?
Dealer wants $200 to troubleshoot it. I see it's a common enough problem to warrant talk of a class action lawsuit. Here are 2 pix of my radio. One shows normal function, the other when it's frozen, the channel buttons at the bottom of the screen are blank. It's a smaller screen, non-touchscreen model with backup cam, USB, cd, and Bluetooth inputs.
Thanks fellas

Malfunction

Normal function

Last edited by Whangler; February 21st, 2023 at 9:49 PM.
Old February 24th, 2023, 7:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First I would forget the connection on your phone with the vehicle. Toggle your bluetooth on and off on your phone and then restart your phone. Next I would use some compressed air to clean all around the radio, buttons etc... Clean the screen really well. Then I would pull the fuse to radio to reset it. Next I would go in and do a system reset if you can find one in the settings menu. Once everything is power cycled and fully reset to factory defaults, add your phone connection to the vehicle again and see how everything works.