Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2017 Silverado Radio acting crazy

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2022, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scree

Originally Posted by Phillip53
Thank you
I am in Russellville Arkansas, I may go talk to my local dealership
who would think that replacing the screen would fix the problem ?
I hope that all goes well for you and your truck
i don’t off road or mis-treat my truck but do travel some very rough forest service roads and wondered if the bouncing around had anything to do with the problem
Both dealerships that I talked said that it is a known problem & both said that there should probably be a recall soon. But who knows.

I’m just glad that the second dealership that I went to, where I get my oil changed religiously and they know me, was willing to fix it for $50.

Also, no bumpy rides for me. Strictly highway & no off roading.

Good Luck
Old September 18th, 2022, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the recall, I have the same issue with my 2017 suburban. Anyone know if I can purchase the item to fix the problem myself to avoid dealer rates. If so anyone confirm the part/ fix or the problem
Old September 18th, 2022, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

$50, that it? Do you know what part needs to be replaced ? Is it something I can purchase ? My dealerships says drop it off and we will check it. Not wanting to leave the vehicle with them all day. Or the name of your dealership. Maybe I can call them for the fix. Thanks
Old September 18th, 2022, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Was your fix under warranty? $50 is worth it. I have the same issue
Old December 15th, 2022, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Possible Fix

Originally Posted by hstinehour
I agree with the recall, I have the same issue with my 2017 suburban. Anyone know if I can purchase the item to fix the problem myself to avoid dealer rates. If so anyone confirm the part/ fix or the problem
After I have looked into a number of possible solutions for fixing the "ghost touch", a possibly more cost efficient solution for this issue that a significant number of Chevy buyers have had, is to REPLACE THE TOUCH SCREEN DIGITIZER (NOTE: look into this solution before pulling the trigger). I am currently waiting on mine to be delivered to me - in order to test my own theory. However, people on Ebay are selling them for about $50-$70 compared to the $200 touch screen assembly cost. if it's a motherboard computing unit issue then I think at that rate, Chevy will recall the radio much sooner, but if it's not, then they might not recall this issue if many people can fix it themselves.
Side note: I have only seen ONE person replace the screen digitizer on youtube (Link Below).

Old February 26th, 2023, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by terranj15@gmail.com
After I have looked into a number of possible solutions for fixing the "ghost touch", a possibly more cost efficient solution for this issue that a significant number of Chevy buyers have had, is to REPLACE THE TOUCH SCREEN DIGITIZER (NOTE: look into this solution before pulling the trigger). I am currently waiting on mine to be delivered to me - in order to test my own theory. However, people on Ebay are selling them for about $50-$70 compared to the $200 touch screen assembly cost. if it's a motherboard computing unit issue then I think at that rate, Chevy will recall the radio much sooner, but if it's not, then they might not recall this issue if many people can fix it themselves.
Side note: I have only seen ONE person replace the screen digitizer on youtube (Link Below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TjWX0_sS3U
I bought my 2016 Suburban used, private seller with 25k miles. At 37k (just outta warranty) radio was glitching bad - it would freeze, lock the presets, change stations, beep, the screen would change, I swear the cars name was "Christine" or "HAL." Anyhow, I go to te dealer where the original buyer bought it they charge me $140 to diagnose a bad radio (Boch Chevy, route Norwood, idiots). $1300 later, two days later it freezes up again. I take it back, the diagnose it, now say its a bad HMI unit, another $1300 if I want to replace it - AND they wanted to charge me another $140 to diagnose, I then complain they dont charge me
Old June 4th, 2023, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

I just replaced the digitizer on my 17 silverado. $50 and about 2 hrs later, after watching utube vid, and being very careful, I was successful. All ghosts seem to have been -exorcized. On day 5 now and still good.
Chevy lost a ton of goodwill on this and probably some return buyers!
M.
Old July 6th, 2023, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M. Park
I just replaced the digitizer on my 17 silverado. $50 and about 2 hrs later, after watching utube vid, and being very careful, I was successful. All ghosts seem to have been -exorcized. On day 5 now and still good.
Chevy lost a ton of goodwill on this and probably some return buyers!
M.
hello my 2017 2500hd started doing this “phantom touch” a few weeks ago. It started with just scrolling, but has progressed to the point that it won’t stay on the station for more than a minute.

Before you made the decision to swap out the digitizer, did you try any troubleshooting? If yes, what did you try? Or should i just skip to the replace digitizer part?

I spend a lot of time in my car, so this is supremely obnoxious.
Old December 5th, 2023, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screen

Originally Posted by hstinehour
$50, that it? Do you know what part needs to be replaced ? Is it something I can purchase ? My dealerships says drop it off and we will check it. Not wanting to leave the vehicle with them all day. Or the name of your dealership. Maybe I can call them for the fix. Thanks
I know that this is an older thread.

My $50 radio repair is still working great.

They told me that they replaced the screen, but I don’t have a part number for you.

Good Luck
Old February 22nd, 2024, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this same issue with my 2016 Silverado. A few years back, our MKZ Lincoln when my wife was driving, I had the Armour All cleaner / protectant wipes. I was cleaning the touch screen and the radio went crazy, like pressing full loud all the time, even after drying it stayed and would not clear. I had to take fuse out of radio for rest of trip. Cleaned screen with water and took care of it.

Fast forward, my Silverado started doing same thing. It had done it for past six months almost every time we drove it. Then we remembered about the MKZ and took a fiber cloth with water only and cleaned it thoroughly for 3 or 4 times edges and everything. Dried well after. The Silverado has not messed up since and has been 2 or 3 months now. I am thinking the Armour all has something that is causing the touch screen to think it is being continuously touched and locks or changes channels. Not saying this will work for everyone but seemed to worked so far. Fingers crossed..... And a cheap fix if it works, instead of new screen.
The following users liked this post:
Suec (March 25th, 2024)

Quick Reply: 2017 Silverado Radio acting crazy