Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Cluster replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2024, 4:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster replacement

I have a 2019 Sierra 2500 with what appears to be a bad cluster. (screen is dead, speedometer goes insane) My truck is the lowest model, with the smallest screen in the center.

Looking for replacements, I know they had better clusters with a bigger screen in higher spec models or a Denali.
Can I simply plug in one of the "better" clusters to my truck? Or is this more complicated than that? Would I need more parts than just the cluster?
Old May 29th, 2024, 8:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

No advice on which cluster you can use, but something to be aware of is that the odometer reading on the car is in the instrument cluster on these vehicles. So replacing it will essentially roll the odometer back to 0 miles. Or if it's a used cluster, it will show the mileage of the vehicle it came from. To get it reprogrammed to show the correct mileage for your vehicle, you will probably need to get the GMC dealer involved, as they have the tools to reset the mileage on the cluster.

I had some weirdness with the cluster on one of my trucks that was solved by reseating it on the connector in the dash. Before you replace it, consider pulling it and then reseating it to see if that helps the issue. You could have a bad connection.

Last edited by jfmorris; May 29th, 2024 at 8:33 AM.
Old May 29th, 2024, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

I have heard that about the odometer, it seems silly that information is only stored there! So easy to turn back the miles! Does anybody have an idea what a dealer would charge to program new mileage?

Also agree, it may just have a loose connection, occasionally the odometer will show up for half a second when I open the door. I tried the "most likely" fix by banging on it over and over while yelling, but no luck.

I just bought this used, 2019 was the end of an era for GM trucks! Might be interesting to get a new cluster with zero miles, then all the miles would be mine. This is the newest vehicle I have ever owned, and the only time I have ever considered using genuine dealer parts! LOL! (to be clear I am not trying to hide miles, I'll probably keep this truck the rest of my life)

Last edited by Forgot; May 29th, 2024 at 8:51 AM.
Old May 29th, 2024, 8:53 AM
CF Active Member

I am guessing $100 or so to reprogram, based on info I am finding online, but that is just a guess. I would call the local GMC dealer and ask about it. And you might find a non-dealer shop that has the capability to do it too, but my understanding is that the reprogramming requires a GM specific computer/software tool.
Old May 29th, 2024, 1:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You will likely need to get the new cluster programmed by a dealer or a technician who has the right software tools like GM's Tech2 or MDI. This way, you can make sure the cluster works smoothly with your car's systems and shows the right info.
The following users liked this post:
Forgot (May 29th, 2024)
Old Yesterday, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Will cluster reseating help me?

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 LT. The last few months the radio changes channels, it has turned on by itself, tries to connect every kind of phone and the Trailer braking service keeps coming on. Sometimes the screen overlaps with another and it has changed languages. I can't listen to anything because it constantly changes to another station, it won't stay on Sirius XM or the CD player.
Old Today, 8:46 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Yamamama
I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 LT. The last few months the radio changes channels, it has turned on by itself, tries to connect every kind of phone and the Trailer braking service keeps coming on. Sometimes the screen overlaps with another and it has changed languages. I can't listen to anything because it constantly changes to another station, it won't stay on Sirius XM or the CD player.
That sounds like a problem with the infotainment system in the dash, more than the instrument cluster. Short of a bad ground connection, I can't think of any other reason for weird behavior like that.
Old Today, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

I agree with Jfmorris, change your meter, and have it reprogrammed.