Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2021, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issues

Hello, I have a 2015 Silverado, recently I have experienced an issue I am unsure of how to address. The dealership said to bring it in for 2-3 days to examine so I’m looking for other options.

Periodically, while driving, the dashboard will go dark and everything shuts down except for the engine. This happens when I press the brake pedal, use the turn signal, etc. This is will happen a couple times over a few days then might not happen again for another few days. Then will happen again.

Any thoughts? My guess is there is a fuse issue or a short somewhere but don’t even know where to begin looking.

Thanks!
Old June 18th, 2021, 9:43 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Misterjw
Hello, I have a 2015 Silverado, recently I have experienced an issue I am unsure of how to address. The dealership said to bring it in for 2-3 days to examine so I’m looking for other options.

Periodically, while driving, the dashboard will go dark and everything shuts down except for the engine. This happens when I press the brake pedal, use the turn signal, etc. This is will happen a couple times over a few days then might not happen again for another few days. Then will happen again.

Any thoughts? My guess is there is a fuse issue or a short somewhere but don’t even know where to begin looking.

Thanks!
Since the brake light, and turn signal are common at the turn signal switch, and your issue happens with either of them, my money is on the turn signal switch.
Old September 9th, 2021, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Electrical Issue

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Since the brake light, and turn signal are common at the turn signal switch, and your issue happens with either of them, my money is on the turn signal switch.
I have the same issue and it occurs when the turn signals are not used. I Jaya 2016 and I’m thinking it could be a module or a ground or bare wire touching something. It’s killing me, because I really like the truck. Please help with a solution.
Old September 30th, 2021, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

I had this checked by dealer and they think that the issue is the battery and the cables linked to battery. They think the cables are corroded from within and this causes the power to fluctuate the power to this area causing the short. The estimated cost is $900 to replace battery and the cables (positive and negative). thoughts on this remedy …ALL? Please chime in
Old October 2nd, 2021, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LD...take your battery to place that will do a load test. Go and buy a new negative cable and a new positive cable and replace them yourself. That is not a 900 dollar job! Better yet do one at a time starting with the battery and then the negative cable. Also look for bad ground cable/wires/straps/mounting points.
MJW...check grounds from your dash to frame/body.

Last edited by skifan1; October 2nd, 2021 at 8:19 AM.