Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Reliability and known issues

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2020, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability and known issues

I am looking at a 2014 Silverado. I like everything about the truck. Id like to hear from current or past owners as to how reliable the truck is(5.3) and if it has as many chronic nagging issues as my 2006 6.0 powerjoke, before I pull the trigger
Old April 3rd, 2020, 9:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I’m not a current or past owner but I am a professional auto tech (independent shop) and more than 1/2 our customers drive GM vehicles so I’m very familiar with their trucks.

That said, my general opinion is that reliability is almost always directly proportional to the care you’re willing to put into it. It doesn’t matter what vehicle it is.

It’s gonna sound like a “Well duh!” statement but the best thing to do to keep that truck rolling is to change the oil on a regular basis and use oil that meets the dexos standard and is the correct weight according to the fill cap or owners manual. The displacement on demand system (also called active fuel management) is sensitive to the oil and will wreak havoc on the engine if oil changes are extended, regardless of what oil is being used.

But even with regular oil changes, there are some known valve train problems that don’t seem to be linked to any particular cause. GM has issued service bulletins regarding broken valve springs and lifters collapsing - surprisingly they don’t always cause major engine damage. There’s also been issues with a connector in the engine bay that corrodes and sets cam codes and the plug wires coming loose (but not falling off) at the coils because of c-clips that are magically missing or damaged (meaning they don’t know how it’s happening).

If you live on or drive a lot of gravel, be prepared to relocate the EVAP canister filter from above the tank fill cap to the engine bay. It’s something we do a lot - but usually it’s only after the filter has clogged up the vent valve and dirt has gotten into the canister.

There have also been safety recalls on the brakes, steering, and power train for various problems. If you’re buying from a dealer that should all be taken care of. If not, a dealer can run the VIN and tell you what has or hasn’t been done.

If you’re not sure about the trucks condition, you can always have it inspected by a 3rd party to help find issues you may not see.
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (April 4th, 2020)
Old April 4th, 2020, 8:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Recap by Gumby22.
I have a 2015 Crew Cab with the 5.3l. I had the lifters collapse for no known reason. I was running Mobil 1 0w20 AFE and an ACDelco oil filter at the time.
I change the oil every 5,000 miles. The work was done under warranty. My truck has roughly 75,000 miles. I had the recall done on the breaks. I can’t say I noticed a difference. I also had an issue with a module that controlled the windows rolling up and down. This was fixed no problem at the dealership. I tow a roughly 5,000lb boat and trailer all summer. I tow a side x side with it as well. Weekly I am hauling something in the bed. And it is my hunting truck. The truck still has original brakes. I’ve swapped out the differential fluids, transfer case, and transmission fluid all with Mobil 1 lubricants.
I love the truck.
Old November 5th, 2020, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 14 Silverado LT w/5.3. Now at 76k miles. I tow a 6k pound travel trailer also. Only issues are the infamous AC condenser replacement & a RF wheel bearing replacement. The wheel bearing was my fault from hitting a certain, very deep, pothole 2x that was filled with water so I couldn't see it. I did replace all the drivetrain fluids around 45k miles. I also have been using the Range AFM disabler for the last 40-45k miles.