Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

HELP! Serpentine belt - no tensioner 2019, 5.3 L Trailboss

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2022, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info on tensioner conversion please

Originally Posted by Kaden
I have come on here to help people solve a issue we encountered on our 2020 1500 work truck with 5.3. As many of you have encountered stretch to fit belts can be a pain to find the right tool to work with their pulley set up. I have pictured the belt configuration for a 5.3 with a stretch to fit belt. I also have pictured a belt configuration for a 6.6 with a tensioner. Took us awhile to find the lay out but we have converted to a 6.6 tensioner part #12654271 and 6.6 idler pulley part # 12695659. Then measured for a belt and has held up great. Way cheaper to convert to a tensioner and serpentine belt then the cost of most stretch to fit belt installer and removal tools.

So this caught my attention but there's not enough info here besides the part numbers.... I looked those up by the way and we're talking $20 for the idler, $37 for the tensioner and between $20-30 for a belt assuming it's a 740K6, so fantastic on the pricing (about $77-87 plus tax/shipping). Can you provide more info as well as the hardware needed to attach this? And the belt you used?

found this as well, but I'm not crazy about the pricing but like the convenience: https://www.ictbillet.com/ac-delco-l...o-l84-l87.html

I called them this morning and explained what I had and was looking for, and the guy I talked to confirmed this is all I need. I did ask if it included a belt at that price and he said no, which is kind of a rip off in my opinion, but whatever. He said this literally bolts right up to a 5.3 block for a 2020. Can it really be that easy? Also, in the top photo of the 5.3, what is the small pulley near #1? I believe in my case that is where the whining sound is coming from. The water pump is the big pulley in the middle right?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I can't believe I'm even here having this conversation only 46K miles into this truck. My local shop said 'leave it for the day' and I was like FU, I'll do it myself. Thanks for any help or direction in advance.
Old July 1st, 2022, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DBCooper40
nightmare. cant get new belt back on. GM wont sell me the Universal Stretchy Belt tool. Tried everything. Tried a generic Lisle tool - doesn't fit on crankshaft pulley.

Now I'm stuck in my driveway.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
I’m in the same boat! I bought the tool and ended up not using it and forced it on was the only way. And now I have to change my ac belt and now I have to take my main belt off again
Old July 3rd, 2022, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Noisy Idler Solved

Originally Posted by txgunslinger
So this caught my attention but there's not enough info here besides the part numbers.... I looked those up by the way and we're talking $20 for the idler, $37 for the tensioner and between $20-30 for a belt assuming it's a 740K6, so fantastic on the pricing (about $77-87 plus tax/shipping). Can you provide more info as well as the hardware needed to attach this? And the belt you used?

found this as well, but I'm not crazy about the pricing but like the convenience: https://www.ictbillet.com/ac-delco-l...o-l84-l87.html

I called them this morning and explained what I had and was looking for, and the guy I talked to confirmed this is all I need. I did ask if it included a belt at that price and he said no, which is kind of a rip off in my opinion, but whatever. He said this literally bolts right up to a 5.3 block for a 2020. Can it really be that easy? Also, in the top photo of the 5.3, what is the small pulley near #1? I believe in my case that is where the whining sound is coming from. The water pump is the big pulley in the middle right?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I can't believe I'm even here having this conversation only 46K miles into this truck. My local shop said 'leave it for the day' and I was like FU, I'll do it myself. Thanks for any help or direction in advance.
Okay so I'm replying to my own post in hopes it helps someone. I ended up buying the ICT Billet tensioner kit from Summit Racing (same price from either source) and installed the kit no problem. I cut the old belt off and ended up needing it, but more on that later... The kit is direct bolt on and comes with all the hardware you need to install it. I ordered a new 74-inch 6-row serpentine belt and got it looped around everything and couuldn't get it to go on the last pulley (alternator I think). My problem was partially due to not having the new tensioner all the way released and lack of a third arm to hold it. I called my daughter down to help but that was futile so back to the drawing board. That was when I decided to wrap the old belt I cut off around the wrench in the tensioner, loop it around a corner brace on the passenger side and clamp it with a vise grip. Now the tensioner was fully cocked back and I had all the slack I was going to get. After that the belt just slipped right on. Just kidding. I still needed a large flat blade screwdriver wedged under the new belt and between the pulley to work it on. I was on the edge of sanity when it finally popped on and glad it was done. I started up my truck and the whirring noise I had before was gone. The problem was in fact a noisy idler pulley on the driver side which was also replaced at the same time as adding the tensioner kit. All is good now, carry on. I took video which I'll post at some point in the future. Unfortunately I did not film the 'aha' moment when the belt finally popped on. Many expletives were uttered and I'm sure was part of the solution. YMMV
Old November 18th, 2022, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

nightmare. cant get new belt back on. GM wont sell me the Universal Stretchy Belt tool. Tried everything. Tried a generic Lisle tool - doesn't fit on crankshaft pulley.

Now I'm stuck in my driveway.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
I've put on many 5.3 stretch belts brand new and didn't use anything but my hands and a pry bar. The trick is to wrap belt around crankshaft idler pulley and alternator first then slide over water pump pulley which is a smooth pulley. Once you get it on the water pump pulley as far as you can with your hands, use pry bar to push belt all the way on pulley. I've used this method with new stretch belts for 5.3 LS and it still works no special tool required.
Old September 23rd, 2024, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Alternator long bolt

Also, wait until you try to replace your alternator on the 5.3 1500. Its designed so the bolt on the left (passenger side) wont come out without removing about half the f'ing radiator. It's as close as you can get to retarded without going completely over the edge.
I avoided this by using a t25 bit and taking out the 3 bolts that hold the fan in place, drop the fan for a min and take ur long bolt out, replace the alternator and put it back in. Then reattach your fan! Much easier watched this on YouTube!
Old Yesterday, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

few zip ties to hold the belt on the harmonic balancer and just turn the motor over with a johnson bar. cut the zip ties. by a few i use 5