Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

NEW 2019 2500HD LTZ - Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2019, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW 2019 2500HD LTZ - Corrosion

I purchased a brand new 2019 2500HD LTZ Iridescent Pearl, 2 weeks ago here in Oklahoma. The truck had 26 miles on the odometer. 3 days after I brought it home, I gave it its first washing. I was so proud of this brand new truck until I ran into rust, on the lower part of the doors. I thought to myself I just purchased a brand new truck for $60,000, why in the world am I seeing rust. I immediately crawled under the truck to find multiple components that have significant/moderate red rust showing. The trans pan and rear disc brake covers are losing their plating with rust coming through.

I immediately contacted the salesman asking to bring the truck back and trade for a different one, but......I was told financing already went through and they could not take it back. That was 3 days of ownership. It's been very painful and disappointing to this point, but I did get the truck into the Service Manager and he took pics and trying to see what GM is willing to do. I just came back to Chevrolet after years of Purchasing Ford products. I even have my 1949 5 Window that I drove in college.

Has anybody seen this before on brand new GM trucks? See Pics

Old July 23rd, 2019, 4:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

When was it built? Was it on the dealer lot for a while. May have been test driven on salty wet roads. It may have made its way to the dealer on a truck that was driving on snow covered roads that had rock salt applied to them. Most of what you are seeing there is normal as they are bare steel. The disc brake backing plate is just zinc plated steel. Looks typical after road salt spray.

The bottom of the doors, however, is a bit strange. Are those holes in the paint or is that on the surface? From the photos, it looks like steel dust specks got on the paint then rusted. I had that happen on my garage door after I cut steel plates near them. It rained and the garage developed rust speckle as did the driveway.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 4:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Take it back to the dealer. Not satisfied, return it again. Oklahoma has a lemon law 3rd time, not fixed, they get to eat it. What I see on a new vehicle isn't acceptable. I realize we have had a lot of rain, but if they sold you this as such, i.e. damage, then you are stuck, however if new, park it on their lot till it is corrected. The lemon law in Oklahoma started with a guy that bought a new truck in Ada, dealer wouldn't correct the issues. Guy rented a vacant lot across the street from the dealer, parked his truck with signs on it. Got really nasty with the dealer wanting the truck, and signs removed, didn't happen, we got a good law that protects the consumer.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Paperwork shows it as built in 1/2019 in Flint. Thank you for your thoughts. I am trying to work through the dealer and GM now.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Buyer Beware!!!

GM and my dealership has denied my request to buy back the vehicle.

GM Reason: The corrosion does not affect the safety of the vehicle.

GM and my dealer has denied to replace any of the parts.

When purchasing a new vehicle, don't assume you will be getting a "New Condition" vehicle.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 7:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 654 Likes on 594 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the brake dust shields. I don't think you'll find a car out there without rusty shields. They are inexpensive, disposable items, and not designed to withstand much corrosion. They will do their job until they start to fall apart, at which time you replace them. Some people don't replace them.

Exhaust parts get really hot, so they don't withstand oxidation for very long.

The suspension spacers or bushings or whatever in the picture: yeah looks a bit ugly, but I'm sure they'll do their job.

The round pipe end (frame crossmember?): I would get them to touch that up. To me it looks like they cut it off and forgot to paint it.

The rust flecks on white paint (the door?). Is that YOUR rust, or is it just metal particles from the road clinging on? If the latter, use a clay bar to remove them, then apply wax.

Also, welcome to the new GM. They are bleeding money fast.