Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

Right steering wheel control for 2021 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2021, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right steering wheel control for 2021 Silverado

Does anyone know if and where I can purchase a right steering wheel control for a 2021 Silverado? Through Chevrolet dealer? Other avenue? It's the control for audio, phone, options and the DIC.

I'm not as familiar with Chevy as other makes. Are the hook ups in place for this under the cover?

Not sure if doing this would require a different steering wheel or if there are different right control sizes for what wheel is in truck.

Thanks for any help.

My config:

Right Control wanted

Old January 9th, 2021, 7:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Call the dealer and see if they can add this build option. adding anything into a bus network requires programming to add the module to the bus. the dealer can find out if its a configurable option or not.

with todays builds...you can't just pop in a switch and connect it.
if they can add it...they will have a kit. you buy the kit, pay for install, pay to have the option added to the build and pay to have it programmed.
adding options like remote start and brake controllers cost around $400 where i am.

Last edited by tech2; January 9th, 2021 at 7:46 PM.
Old January 9th, 2021, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
Call the dealer and see if they can add this build option. adding anything into a bus network requires programming to add the module to the bus. the dealer can find out if its a configurable option or not.

with todays builds...you can't just pop in a switch and connect it.
if they can add it...they will have a kit. you buy the kit, pay for install, pay to have the option added to the build and pay to have it programmed.
adding options like remote start and brake controllers cost around $400 where i am.
Thank you for the info. I'll talk to my dealer. Figured if I could get the part, I'd still have to have it installed. No plug and play anymore as they say lol.
Old June 10th, 2021, 5:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Did you ever find out if you can add the controls on steering wheel. I have the Custom Trail boss and want the controls so I can upgrade my Dash Cluster
Old July 12th, 2021, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Did anyone ever find out if this is an option to add the Audio controls to the right side of steering wheel? I’d be interested in adding that ASAP.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Seems like because I have a 2021, no parts shop either wants to sell a new steering wheel for the 2021 Silverado 1500 Custom or just don't have it in stock. Has anyone successfully added a audio control to Silverado 1500 Custom or replaced the steering wheel with or without the controls? I would really like a leather wheel with controls but seems there's none out there. Nevertheless, I'm reading from earlier threads that it might require dealership installation...and of course at a price. I did see a YouTube video that replaced the Cluster and steering wheel with controls successfully. However, one cable had to be added to make the radio controls work and operate the Cluster. The Cluster was a Denali make with digital display and the steering wheel looked like an aftermarket. All worked according to the video. I also found an aftermarket steering wheel at $600.00. Steep but the only one I found that was available and fancy.
Old September 26th, 2021, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Do you have the link to the YouTube video?

I’m curious myself as I want the right hand controls

Cheers
S
Old September 27th, 2021, 9:24 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Something to check is do you have a radio that is compatible with the right hand controls?
Old October 5th, 2021, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Radar1976
Do you have the link to the YouTube video?

I’m curious myself as I want the right hand controls

Cheers
S
Here's the video I saw that helped me. However, I subsequently decided to purchase a steering wheel that had controls on both sides (cruse and radio/voice). I've yet to replace the cluster (coming at a later date). Hope this helps...
Old April 10th, 2022, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mrwhatitdo24
Did you ever find out if you can add the controls on steering wheel. I have the Custom Trail boss and want the controls so I can upgrade my Dash Cluster
Everyone I've talked to from the dealer to a buddy of mine who runs a dealership in VA has said it can't be done on mine that is a custom 1500. I haven't looked into it any further than that.

Quick Reply: Right steering wheel control for 2021 Silverado