Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

1999 4.3 electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 5:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts
Default 1999 4.3 electrical issue

Greetings-

First I just wanted to say thanks in advance to any and all who lend me a hand... or a foot... or a hamstring... . I am an experienced shade tree mechanic but no expert. I know enough about electrical systems to be able to trouble shoot them, but again, not an expert.

The trouble I am having is with my friend's 1999 4.3. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the mileage is around 100-120k.

A couple of months ago, he told me it wouldn't start. I took a look and found the battery cable to have snapped/broken off at the terminal that attaches to the starter. I believe the cable was 2/0 cable and I didn't have the proper tools at the time to put a proper replacement terminal on it, so to get it started so he could get it to a shop I held the battery cable in place on the starter as he turned it over and it started. I then taped up the bare end of the starter cable to protect it from shorting until he could drive it to the shop.

Side note on the shop he took it to- the only thing I know about this place is that it's the [used] dealership shop. I don't know anything about how they operate or the quality of work that they do.

A few weeks after this, my friend informed me that he opened up the door to get in and all the electrical systems were going crazy. I can't remember exactly what he said was going on, but IIRC, he did tell me that it sounded like the fuel pump was running, and the gauges were all going crazy. This was happening without the key in the ignition.

From my experience, when this type of thing happens, it's more often than not a computer problem; but I am not familiar enough w/ Chevy to know if this might be a common issue or not, which is why I have come here.

Whether you know what it may be or not, I am going to start troubleshooting the electrical system and was wondering where I might find a wiring diagram for this van as a guide.

If I remember correctly, that is the accurate order of events and symptoms. Any and all help is appreciated and again, thanks for your input/time.