Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

No Start, No Crank, Rain and Shine

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2013, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face No Start, No Crank, Rain and Shine

Howdy,

Having a lot of trouble trying to figure out whats going on here. For almost a year I would turn over the key and at first nothing would happen, no click, power would stay on..but engine wouldn't turn, then if I tried a couple more times it would start. THEN one day it just wouldn't turn after I tried and tried...let the van sit for a week, returned and started right up! The next day wouldn't start, changed rotor and cap, that worked for a minute, then started happening again. Thought it could be Ignition coil, tested for spark and found out the hard way that it was still good...

Since then it has a mind of its own, some days it'll start, then later it won't.. checked battery and its fine..cleaned leads all fine, could it be the ignition switch? Fuse? HELP!
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

Ok,,, your problem is not easy and i need more help with more information... When you put the key in, and turn it to run, not start, run. Does it have all the expected lights and the like? If yes, when you turn it to start, does all the lights go out, and then a large click? No click? There are a ton of variables here, if you still need help, please send me a private message with your contact info and i will call you as soon as i get it...

Blip...
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:44 AM
CF Beginner

hey there,

when i put the key in, all the expected lights and power turn on, and when i turn it to start, there is no crank or click and..the lights do not show any signs of dimming.

the problem is still happening on and off, one thing i have found out since posting, is that there is a neutral safety switch/backup lights that is located on the transmission which can be the problem since my backup lights have stopped working.
thanks!
Old January 15th, 2014, 6:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

The back up lights are a different circuit. From your description, it sounds like it is the ignition switch. If the ignition switch were good the expected lights would still dim when turning to start. It still might not start, but the lights would dim. Do not rule out a loose connection in the circuit or damaged wire.