Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

4 WD

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2008, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 WD

[sm=helpout.gif]
This problem started months ago. The switch inside the truck that changes the drive from 2 wheel to 4 wheel began to change on its own when my 2003 Avalanche Z71 was started. It would be in neutral, 4 wheel or 4 wheel-low. I would try to change it back but the light will just blink and not change. It got to where its would start in 4 wheel-low. First gear was 4 wheel-low but when the transmission would change to second gear would feel like 4 wheel-high. Then the Service 4WD display came on. I took it to a mechanic and he placed his computer on it. Result "Manufacture Transmission" something to that effect= 4 wheel-low switch. I replaced it. Now a month later it is doing the samething again but did not progressivly get worse this time. I went from starting with the red neutral light being on to starting in 4 wheel-low and shifting the transmission the same way it did before the switch was changed. It is also displaying Service 4WD again. Please help I cannot afford to keep replacing parts that are not the problem.
Old October 9th, 2008, 2:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4 WD

I think you have shown your truck to local mechanic,and he didn't fix it right first time.Last time the mechanic checked on his computer do you know what code was there? Instead of throwing $ take your truck to Nearest dealership.I guess there is problem in encoder motor/sensor or module or wiring harness.