Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Blower Motor Issues

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2021, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor Issues

I have an 03 Avalanche with auto climate control and dual zone HVAC. Recently the blower motor stopped working. I noticed a thumping noise coming from the blower cover under the glove box. Putting my hand on it, I could feel the thumping also. Oddly, if I turn the engine off, and turn the key back to on leaving the engine off, the blower works. When I restart the Av the blower stops and begins thumping. Turn the engine off and key back to run, and the blower works. I'm confused. At first I thought it was the resistor, but then when I turned off the engine and it worked with the key on I thought that wasn't the issue.
Old October 21st, 2021, 4:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray2897
I have an 03 Avalanche with auto climate control and dual zone HVAC. Recently the blower motor stopped working. I noticed a thumping noise coming from the blower cover under the glove box. Putting my hand on it, I could feel the thumping also. Oddly, if I turn the engine off, and turn the key back to on leaving the engine off, the blower works. When I restart the Av the blower stops and begins thumping. Turn the engine off and key back to run, and the blower works. I'm confused. At first I thought it was the resistor, but then when I turned off the engine and it worked with the key on I thought that wasn't the issue.
You likely have a bad actuator. The noise you hear is not the fan, but typical of a bad actuator.A bad blower won't make that kind of thumping sound.
Old October 25th, 2021, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Is the actuator located near the blower motor? I can feel the thumping on the blower cover also.

The thing is, the blower will work with the engine off and the ignition key in the "On" position. Would this still happen with a bad actuator?

Old October 26th, 2021, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Thinking the thumping might be the actuator for the blend door, I turned the key on with the engine off so the blower would come on. Then I used the manual switch to direct air through the floor vents, then dash vent, and finally the defrost. It all worked so I'm thinking it's not the actuator. Also, the thumping noise increased in speed as I increase the fan speed.

Last edited by stingray2897; October 26th, 2021 at 8:14 AM.
Old October 27th, 2021, 12:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray2897
Thinking the thumping might be the actuator for the blend door, I turned the key on with the engine off so the blower would come on. Then I used the manual switch to direct air through the floor vents, then dash vent, and finally the defrost. It all worked so I'm thinking it's not the actuator. Also, the thumping noise increased in speed as I increase the fan speed.
I could be mistaken, as I am not perfect. But I've never hear a fan "thump". They might make a whizzing noise, or similar. However, If your actuator is working fine then you might need a new fan, of course.