Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

ticking in speedometer area

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2007, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking in speedometer area

I had speedometer issues-it would quit working after I would be driving for awhile and would tick something awful-well I got it replaced but the ticking is still there-turns out if I adjust my airconditioning to a different position the tickingquits-Is anyone having same problem? What could this be caused from? I'm out of warranty on my 03 Avalanche and do not want to have to take it to dealer-help.
Old November 28th, 2007, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ticking in speedometer area

I have a 2003 Tahoe with the auto a/c and I think it is doing the same thing as your Avalanche. If you manually select it to blow through the dash vents, you'll heara back-and-forthscratching sound. If you select it to blow from the dash and floor, it will go away. When driving, it sounds like it's coming from the speedometer area.

If you crawl down on the floor, there is a motorized duct damper located just above where your right knee would be when driving. It's kind of above the accelerator pedal. It opens and closes to let airflow through floor duct. It's hard to see, but that's the culprit in my truck. While you're down there, get someone to switch the a/c from dash to floor and you'll hear the damper moving.

I haven't priced the part, but maybe someone else can help on that.