Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/beretta-corsica-pre-1995-lumina-33/)
-   -   1988 Corsica won't start after two years sitting (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/beretta-corsica-pre-1995-lumina-33/1988-corsica-wont-start-after-two-years-sitting-59697/)

mdisco77 August 1st, 2013 6:03 PM

1988 Corsica won't start after two years sitting

Hey all, my neighbor just gave me an 88 corsica that had been sitting in his yard for two years. According to him, it ran when it was parked and was driven there. So I charged up the battery and though it turns over, it won't fire up. Just wondering where to start. Thanks

tech2 August 1st, 2013 7:37 PM

check for:
spark, use a proper spark tester
fuel, is there fuel at the fuel pressure Schrader valve.
compression with a compression tester

mdisco77 August 1st, 2013 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 253661)
check for:
spark, use a proper spark tester
fuel, is there fuel at the fuel pressure Schrader valve.
compression with a compression tester

I have a a spark tester so I can do that. There should be fuel pressure as soon as the key is on right? I can check tomorrow.

tech2 August 2nd, 2013 7:08 PM

the fuel pump should run for 2 seconds when the key is turned to run

mdisco77 August 3rd, 2013 12:16 AM

Checked earlier and I'm getting no fuel at the rail. Fuel pump fuse is good, new relay came with car and it put it on. Still no fuel at the rail.

tech2 August 3rd, 2013 10:02 AM

if your not hearing the fuel pump run for 2 seconds at key on; check for power and grd at the fuel pump harness connector. If you have battery voltage for that 2second prime, and the grd is good, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter.

If you want to see if it will start, spray at 2second blast of brake cleaner in the air cleaner snorkel. if it fires up on brake clean, you know it a fuel delivery problem.

mdisco77 August 3rd, 2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 253760)
if your not hearing the fuel pump run for 2 seconds at key on; check for power and grd at the fuel pump harness connector. If you have battery voltage for that 2second prime, and the grd is good, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter.

If you want to see if it will start, spray at 2second blast of brake cleaner in the air cleaner snorkel. if it fires up on brake clean, you know it a fuel delivery problem.

Will try.

mdisco77 August 4th, 2013 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by mdisco77 (Post 253768)
Will try.

I tried connecting 12 volts to the test lead and still no noise from pump. Where is the harness connector you're talking about? By the gas tank?

tech2 August 4th, 2013 11:29 AM

the fuel pump harness will be connected at the top of the tank. It may not be accessible without lowering the tank.

mdisco77 August 4th, 2013 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 253833)
the fuel pump harness will be connected at the top of the tank. It may not be accessible without lowering the tank.

Okay. Looks like this is going to go on the lift one way or another. I'll try to take the tank out.