Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

91 Corsica Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2007, 3:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Corsica Starting Problems

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had an ideas about the following situation:

About 2 years ago, my 91 Corsica began to stall when raining, start rough, and go through coolant like nothing I've ever seen. My stepdad, who is a computer-less mechanic, diagnosed the problem as a bad head gasket. We replaced the gasket, starter, spark plugs, and plug wires in the spring of 2004.

Fast forward. In the last month, my car has begun having starting problems again, usually when it's very cold or raining. Some days it won't start, others you just go out and turn the key and it takes off. The starter was replaced less than a week ago, new plugs were put in, and the battery and alternator were tested. Still hard starting. Took it to a mechanic for a diagnostic, no problems were shown. When you turn the key, the car will roll over and try to fire, it just won't catch.

I've seen references made to the possibility that it could be the distributor cap, but I've also been told that my year of car doesn't have a distributor cap. I was just wondering if anyone had any insights into this frusterating situation. Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2007, 7:47 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 91 Corsica Starting Problems

it sounds like it could be a problem in the ignition. check your coil, and spark plug wires. always remember a motor needs fuel, air, and fire. if your sure there's no problems in the fuel pump, fuel filter,lines, or injectors, then go to the next possibility. to check the fire it,s simply the spark plugs and wires, starter, and distributor or coil. air is just the intake and filter.
p.s I seen the same problems occur in a car that had a clogged fuel filter.
Old January 15th, 2007, 2:56 AM
CF Beginner

I'm leaning heavily towards fuel delivery problems. The plugs and wires are still good, and the temp coolant sensor was replaced a month ago. I'm thinking of seeing if the throttle position sensor makes any difference. It just seems like it's getting water or too much air from somewhere. It's strange, because when it starts, even if it starts hard and needs the gas touched a time or two (which I hate doing because I've been told it can kill the injector), I can drive it somewhere, even just the two miles to the store, turn it off, and it will turn right back on. It can sit for eight hours and start right back up. So, I'm wondering if it's some sensor or something in the ECM that is resetting itself at night. Is that even possible?
Old January 17th, 2007, 6:01 PM
CF Active Member

now that you mention it, my caprice was having the same problems. it was the tps. when it got cold outside the car would start but then instantly cut back off unless I tapped the gas. that just might be your problem.