Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/beretta-corsica-pre-1995-lumina-33/)
-   -   Lumina dies after runs awhile (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/beretta-corsica-pre-1995-lumina-33/lumina-dies-after-runs-awhile-63501/)

mikeatpriestlake February 11th, 2014 10:44 AM

Lumina dies after runs awhile

Ok gang, here is a toughie, I have a 91 Lumina sedan 3.1. It starts and runs good for 15min to half hour, then spits and sputters and dies, and wont start again for a while. No codes are stored. new fuel filter good fuel pump, Mechanic has tested it on his machine but can find nothing. replaced the crank sensor just to try something, but didn;t help. tune up is only a year old, has a new ecm, just a bit stumped here, any help would be great. thanks, Mike.

oprex faridl March 7th, 2014 2:41 AM

before i have problem like you than i change new fuel pump now oke

mikeatpriestlake March 7th, 2014 6:50 AM

I suppose it could be the fuel pump oprex, but the fuel pressure tests at the rail. I gess it could be dropping out just for a few seconds, then coming back.?

sledge.impy March 7th, 2014 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by mikeatpriestlake (Post 270225)
I suppose it could be the fuel pump oprex, but the fuel pressure tests at the rail. I gess it could be dropping out just for a few seconds, then coming back.?

When does it test at the rail? When it's sputtering?

I would say fuel pump too.

I was stranded overnight once in my 2.8 mpfi, and at the garage next morning the car ran fine. Drove around with the mechanic and it was fine still. He wasn't ready to send me on my way, and I wasn't sure either.

So I was outside the bay and just kept giving it gas, and then it finally started sputtering.

New fuel pump.

I did throw a lean fuel condition on the O2 sensor the first time if I remember correctly.

Does it sputter in neutral or park as opposed to gear? CAn you give it more gas to try to save it from stalling? Or does it struggle and still die?

mikeatpriestlake March 8th, 2014 8:35 PM

It dies when driving, and once in a while when idling. I was thinking of taking my fuel pressure gauge and hooking it up and zip tying it somewhere and then chek it as soon as the car died. I think the fuel pressure should remain constant? what do ya think?

sledge.impy March 8th, 2014 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikeatpriestlake (Post 270381)
It dies when driving, and once in a while when idling. I was thinking of taking my fuel pressure gauge and hooking it up and zip tying it somewhere and then chek it as soon as the car died. I think the fuel pressure should remain constant? what do ya think?

There is also the TCC solenoid that can cause stalling when "hot" in GEAR.
(torque converter clutch or something).

Else it could be vacuum line related .. look for cracked rubber hoses....or rubber hose lines with dry rot.

mikeatpriestlake March 9th, 2014 10:14 PM

we have checked vac lines, all good, but we could explore the TCC. thanks

sledge.impy March 10th, 2014 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mikeatpriestlake (Post 270464)
we have checked vac lines, all good, but we could explore the TCC. thanks

There's a vacuum line down near the bottom of the battery on the side of the motor if I remember correctly. I remember cutting one up and splicing it together on at 92 lumina 3.1.

mikeatpriestlake March 12th, 2014 11:04 PM

I have tried to find a bad vac line, none so far. I did do some other tests though. I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge and tested. The spec is 41-47lbs. The car is sometimes is at 41, but i got numerous 40, and one 38. Also, when running it is 35-36 and doesn't go higher.

mikeatpriestlake March 12th, 2014 11:08 PM

where is the TCC located on my lumina 3.1? can it cause the car to die. It seems like it dies more often when you give it a little gas, and sometimes after taking off from a stop or changing from reverse to drive or vice versa. Also while idling, it will rev and slow and rev again, just a freckle and then die.