Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

Lumina dies after runs awhile

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2014, 10:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lumina dies after runs awhile

Ok gang, here is a toughie, I have a 91 Lumina sedan 3.1. It starts and runs good for 15min to half hour, then spits and sputters and dies, and wont start again for a while. No codes are stored. new fuel filter good fuel pump, Mechanic has tested it on his machine but can find nothing. replaced the crank sensor just to try something, but didn;t help. tune up is only a year old, has a new ecm, just a bit stumped here, any help would be great. thanks, Mike.
Old March 7th, 2014, 2:41 AM
CF Beginner

before i have problem like you than i change new fuel pump now oke
Old March 7th, 2014, 6:50 AM
CF Junior Member

I suppose it could be the fuel pump oprex, but the fuel pressure tests at the rail. I gess it could be dropping out just for a few seconds, then coming back.?
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeatpriestlake
I suppose it could be the fuel pump oprex, but the fuel pressure tests at the rail. I gess it could be dropping out just for a few seconds, then coming back.?
When does it test at the rail? When it's sputtering?

I would say fuel pump too.

I was stranded overnight once in my 2.8 mpfi, and at the garage next morning the car ran fine. Drove around with the mechanic and it was fine still. He wasn't ready to send me on my way, and I wasn't sure either.

So I was outside the bay and just kept giving it gas, and then it finally started sputtering.

New fuel pump.

I did throw a lean fuel condition on the O2 sensor the first time if I remember correctly.

Does it sputter in neutral or park as opposed to gear? CAn you give it more gas to try to save it from stalling? Or does it struggle and still die?
Old March 8th, 2014, 8:35 PM
CF Junior Member

It dies when driving, and once in a while when idling. I was thinking of taking my fuel pressure gauge and hooking it up and zip tying it somewhere and then chek it as soon as the car died. I think the fuel pressure should remain constant? what do ya think?
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

It dies when driving, and once in a while when idling. I was thinking of taking my fuel pressure gauge and hooking it up and zip tying it somewhere and then chek it as soon as the car died. I think the fuel pressure should remain constant? what do ya think?
There is also the TCC solenoid that can cause stalling when "hot" in GEAR.
(torque converter clutch or something).

Else it could be vacuum line related .. look for cracked rubber hoses....or rubber hose lines with dry rot.
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:14 PM
CF Junior Member

we have checked vac lines, all good, but we could explore the TCC. thanks
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

we have checked vac lines, all good, but we could explore the TCC. thanks

There's a vacuum line down near the bottom of the battery on the side of the motor if I remember correctly. I remember cutting one up and splicing it together on at 92 lumina 3.1.
Old March 12th, 2014, 11:04 PM
CF Junior Member

I have tried to find a bad vac line, none so far. I did do some other tests though. I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge and tested. The spec is 41-47lbs. The car is sometimes is at 41, but i got numerous 40, and one 38. Also, when running it is 35-36 and doesn't go higher.
Old March 12th, 2014, 11:08 PM
CF Junior Member

where is the TCC located on my lumina 3.1? can it cause the car to die. It seems like it dies more often when you give it a little gas, and sometimes after taking off from a stop or changing from reverse to drive or vice versa. Also while idling, it will rev and slow and rev again, just a freckle and then die.

Last edited by mikeatpriestlake; March 12th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Lumina dies after runs awhile