Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

Trying to diagnos 1995 Corsica problem with turn signal

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2011, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to diagnos 1995 Corsica problem with turn signal

Hi, I have a 1995 chevy corsica that I am having a turn signal problem on. Everytime I turn the signal on it starts smoking which cannot be good. I know almost nothing about cars and need my car for work, but I think it might be the turn signal switch needing replaced as one of the signals has stopped working now when that signal is on. It smells like burning plastic kind of so I thought it might have been a wire shorting and burning the covering on the wire. Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I really need to fix it this weekend as again I drive for work and have to have my blinkers, thanks for your time.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, it definitely sounds like a wire shorted inside the steering column to me. You'll need to get a lock plate remover and steering wheel puller in order to get inside. You'll also need to disconnect the ground cable on the battery and wait about five minutes for the air bag capacitors to discharge. You can get both tools on the loaner program at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. However, if you've never don this before, you may want to either get a Haynes manual or get someone you trust to at least help you with it.