Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

2012 Camaro Engine Noise / Rattle (3.6)

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2016, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Camaro Engine Noise / Rattle (3.6)

Hello Everyone! I have been looking into this issue for sometime, and I have to say, I'm pretty good with cars and technical stuff but this one has me stumped. I found one on Youtube video (I'll post as soon as I find it again) with the same issue, but other than that, no one: not the dealership or other mechanics or even other camaro owners can tell me what this problem is. I have recorded it and cleaned up the driving/road noise to make the sound easier to hear. The link to the sound file is below. Can anyone tell me what this sound is, and how to fix it? It happens only under slight engine load. Does not happen while coasting, down or up hill. Does not matter if AC is on or off. Does not do it at idle or standstill. Does not do it by revving engine. It is coming from engine compartment as far as I can tell. Car has done this from the shop when purchased brand new, and 7 dealerships cannot tell me why. Trying to recreate the noise is tough as you need enough road to get the car going @ about 1500-1700RPM and slightly hit accelerator. Anything you can tell me to help this would be great as there is only so loud you can turn up the stereo. I can best describe this noise as a rattle as it in not a knock. It is high pitched ( between 4-7 khz range) and I have read about exhaust and belt noises, but this is not those noises. I know those noises as my Yukon just had a knock and I had to swap/change the engine. (Another story) The picture I have posted shows the wavform of the Cabin and engine noise recording I posted on soundcloud. My foot is slightly on the accelerator until the 3.7 second mark, then I speak, and have to get on the brake for a stoplight. You can clearly hear the difference between when the car is making the sound, and when it is not. Thanks!

Wavform for Sound file.
Old March 10th, 2016, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUMP! Anyone?
Old March 11th, 2016, 6:19 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I played it several times and could not distinguish anything but five seconds is not very long to hear a specific noise. Could it be pre ignition knock?