Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

'79 camaro

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2006, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 camaro

I'm new here, so don't laugh, but my girlfriend adores her 'baby'. I've done quite a bit, but there's a bunch left for a, uh, well, um, design that shouts: "spend your money elsewhere." Besides, the 305/automatic drive reminds me of a '56 buick Ionce owned. What DOES give the car some class, though, are the T-Tops--perfect cond. (in need of none-too-cheap weather stripping). We don't have much money at the moment, but all the time in the world as long as it gets her to work. I'm wide open to any and all suggestions that would cost under four grand. (Or is even that too much for the car?) Obviously, there's more sentiment than anything else here(she just loves those T-Tops), but some practicality would be mighty helpful and appreciated. I can, given my own time frame, DO almost anything. I promise a beautifully framed 8X10 glossy of the results to all good ideas...really!!! Much Thanks, Bill
Old December 1st, 2006, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '79 camaro

What are the goals of the car?

A restored stocker, flashy daily driver, street racer, Street/track, etc..

G

PS..
I found a good deal on E-bay a few months back on the t-top gaskets...
Old December 5th, 2006, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

RAT454-- thanks for responding. I'd like to restore it to stock, with a bit of flash. Was there a spoiler available as on option on this model? Any other sporty options? It'll stay black and has nice Kragers. I wish it handled a little sportier, but maybe the 305 has a lot to do with that. I'm wide open to all suggestions. I think it was originally blue, as the interior dash, etc. is a light blue. When I started, it was primer grey with damaged rt. ft. fender that carried into the hood. I came across a guy dismantling a nice, black '78 for the drive train, and picked up the doors, fenders, hood, and 'nose/bumper' for 200 bucks and then went nuts swapping it all out. But, it's done, and now I'm attached.
I recently drove thru Las Cruces on my way to Medina, Tx. visiting my daughter. Wanted to stop and look around but had no time. Looks like an interesting town. next time. thanks for any ideas you might offer up, Bill

Old December 5th, 2006, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Morning Bill

Yep there was a spoiler available for it.. try http://www.camaros.com/

You probably will need to go through the suspension and replace the worn bushings, joints, tie rod ends, springs and or rear spring bushings... and shocks.

Poly Bushings work very well. the material they use in them is harder than the regular rubber so it dosent fles as much. PST sells a good kit

If you don't have a rear sway bar they are also a very good idea. will help to control the rear body roll. May also need to go to a larger front bar as well. Addco makes good kits for these...

Body mount busings also effect the way these things handle.. they are kind of a pain to change...PST makes a kit...

Sub frame connectors are a good idea, espcially with the t-top...they help to tie the uni body to the front frame..will give a lot more bodyregidity..

Also on some of the Trans ams they had bars that went fron the middle of the front frame under the pan to either side of the frame rails back by the tranny. they were about an inch thick...they also help to control the frame stretch...

Is the auto an overdrive?.. or is it a 3 speed?

Greg

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good year, 1979. They're fun to work on. The 305 won't make power as efficiently as a 350 but it'll do for a daily driver. The bushings should definately been replaced if they're the originial. Shocks, brakes, and check for rust under the carpet. I'm restoring a 79 myself as a drag car built for the streets.