Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

87 Caprice Tune up

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2012, 1:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 87 Caprice Tune up

Hello,

Just looking for some info about a complete tune up for my 87 Caprice Brougham 305. Here is what I was told to change: cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, air filter,gas filter, and pcv valve. Any other things I should replace? Not much of a mechanical person but I'm going to give this a try. My main concern are the cap, rotor, and wires. What brand should I get and I saw some that said internal or external coil. Which should I be getting? Want to make sure I get the right parts the first time around and I appreciate any advice you can give. thanks

Last edited by James Renfroe; March 10th, 2012 at 1:28 AM.
Old March 19th, 2012, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some coils have an internal resistor while others rely on a resistor wire or an external resistor to limit the current flowing into the coil from the car's 12 volt supply. The wire which goes from the ignition coil to the distributor and the wires which go from the distributor to each of the spark plugs are called spark plug wires or high tension leads.

you have everything down to do your tune up.... i would go with the internal resistor...