Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

91 caprice won't start 5.7 L

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2012 | 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default 91 caprice won't start 5.7 L

I replaced the fuel filter and igition coil, no help. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. If I spray starting fluild in carburator it starts and keeps running. When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump charging. I checked the fuel pump relays with an ohm meter both of them are good (yes there are 2 relays next to each other, why 2 don't know). When I checked the wiring for the relays with the key on, one relay wiring had voltage and the other relay wiring didn't show any voltage. I checked both the injectors (electronic fuel iginition) on top of carburator with an ohm meter and both are good. When I try to start engine 1 injector sprays a very small amount of fuel for a tenth of a sec, didn't see the other injector spray anything. All the fuses are good. I pulled the vacumn line off the fuel presure regulator and no sign of ruptured dieafram (not wet).
Could it be weak fuel pump presure? I don't have a presure tester. But once it starts it seems to run fine.
Could it be electronic control module? I looked at module and it looks good.

Last edited by 91chevcaprice; October 13th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old October 13th, 2012 | 12:36 PM
CF Junior Member

You need to start by checking for any DTC's in the ECM.