Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

ABS lite - 1991 Caprice

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2013, 7:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS lite - 1991 Caprice

This Caprice had belonged to my late father . We had stored it at my brother in laws place , out in the country .

We brought it home last year & I have slowly been trying to repair the effects of time & storage .

One of the issues was feild mice . They had been chewing on the wiring , why I do not know . Can not believe it is that tasty ?

A couple of weeks ago , I started investigating the ABS lite coming on . Could not find anything on ABS in my Hayes book . Except maybe vague reference to sensors at the front wheel and maybe a sensor in the differential ?

I started by jacking up the right front & removing the wheel , which was rusted in place ( as was the other 3 ) . The sensor wiring looked good . Inspected the brake pads while I was there . They were good too .

I happened to have the hood up and was looking down between the right side of the engine and the fender well . Found a length of something that was in two . At first I could not tell if it was hose , rubber tubeing ( vacuum ? ) or cable . It proved to be cable ?

I looked at the cable the wheel sensor plugged in to & it looked to be the same cable . Praise the Lord . I had stumbled into the field mouse chewed in two cable I was looking for , it was just up in the engine compartment . Some how I was expecting it to be down at the wheel .

My cousin was helping me . He & I went to Harbor freight to get some more heat shrink . I seemed to have misplaced what I had used previously , on some other mouse chewed wiring . I was able to find the other splicing supplies .

Back from Harbor Freight with the heat shrink , I srt about splicing the cable .

Far as I can tell , that fixed the ABS lite issue . It does not come back on .

God bless
Wyr