Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Friends 84 Caprice fixing everything

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2010, 1:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friends 84 Caprice fixing everything

Im helping me friend fix up his 84 Caprice Classic we put in a new battery, cleaned the terminals, changed his oil, transmission fluid and flushed his coolant. It’s got a 305 v8 and automatic transmission. It’s running much better now but still has a slightly cycling idle. The cap, rotor and wires look good. We did his spark plugs (only because I broke one) and made sure they were gaped at .045 His old plugs were clean, only slightly brown and gapped a little loose. I have a feeling it may be the EGR causing the rough idle, it looks like the original.

Questions:<O</O
- Since it doesn’t have to pass emissions I’m in favor getting rid of his EGR and see if that fixes the problem, has anyone done this on an 84? Is there any drawbacks to doing this?<O</O

- Something else he wants to do is replace his air filter assembly with an open air filament, I warned him off about this because winters on its way (we live in WA State and see snow occasionally) and he won’t have that aluminum crinkle hose that supplies warm air. Am I right, or would he be better off ditching the old filter assembly?<O</O

- I’d really like to get rid of all the hoses coming from his PVC valve and attach a breather. Will doing this cause the check engine light to come on?

Any recommendations or stuff I’m missing?? Thanks for helping, i know my buddy appreciates it