Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

HVAC Air intake

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2020, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Air intake

Been having problems with rats entering and and eating my cabin air filter. Now they are building nest in the discharge side of the fan and restricnj air flow. Where is the air intake
Old April 18th, 2020, 3:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tessdd
Been having problems with rats entering and and eating my cabin air filter. Now they are building nest in the discharge side of the fan and restricnj air flow. Where is the air intake
I would think you could track it down?
Old April 18th, 2020, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rodents in airway

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I would think you could track it down?
I looked in and above where the cabin air filter is and tried to see what direction it comes from. From the engine bay, there is no obvious place unless it is from the vented cowl area. I assume the incoming air comes from the top of the cabin filter and is picked up by the fan, which directs it up to the air vents. Hoping someone has the same problem and was able to screen the air intake to keep rodents out. The air path after the fan was also packed with nesting material and not allowing full air into the cabin. Is there a good exploded view to help?
Old April 18th, 2020, 4:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tessdd
I looked in and above where the cabin air filter is and tried to see what direction it comes from. From the engine bay, there is no obvious place unless it is from the vented cowl area. I assume the incoming air comes from the top of the cabin filter and is picked up by the fan, which directs it up to the air vents. Hoping someone has the same problem and was able to screen the air intake to keep rodents out. The air path after the fan was also packed with nesting material and not allowing full air into the cabin. Is there a good exploded view to help?
Not familiar with your car, however I did own a Ford Taurus, it's filter was under the passenger side cowl, might look in that area.
Old April 19th, 2020, 4:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 673 Likes on 611 Posts

Yes, air is drawn from the cowl.