Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

01 Cavalier 2.2L PROBLEM! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2012, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Cavalier 2.2L PROBLEM! HELP!

Hey my name is Austin, I recently traded for an 01 cavalier and for the first two weeks it ran fine. But then started dying randomly on the freeway, I suspected the fuel pump so i installed a new one, and it's still doing the same thing.. It's not starving for fuel, has pressure at the rail, and it doesnt sputter when it dies. It has a hard time starting some days and as soon as it gets hot and i get on highway speeds I feel the engine shutoff put the pedal to the floor and it just dies. no hesitation or sputtering, just shuts off dash lights come on as the car has turned off. No check engine light, fresh plugs, fresh fuel filter, fresh fuel pump. I have no idea what could just shut the engine off like that. It sits at idle fine and wont die ever sitting still, but when i get on it and the its at full running temp.. Any info could help as im desperate for this car to be running and in need of the transportation for work and my pregnant girlfriend.