Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

03Cavalier dieing/not starting

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2008 | 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default 03Cavalier dieing/not starting

Has about 75k miles, just got the oil changed, new air filter, new fuel filter.
My problem started shortly after I got the oil changed and a new air filter. When I would slow to turn or even stop at a light the RPMs would drop as soon as the clutch wasengaged and thecar would die. When I would try to restart, I would have to give it gas to get it started again. Changed the fuel filter and it was fine for a while.
Once the new fuel filter was in it ran fine for a short while. It would occasionally feel like the fuel wasn't getting to the engine, once I stepped on the gas pedal it was fine. Although it did die a couple times while stopped on an incline (front end lower). This time I cannot get it to start at all.
I had a few people helping me out to move it, trying to diagnose the problem and here are some of the observations...
1. When it was on the incline the starter wasn't engaging. Once the car was on a more level surface it would engage, but no/not enoughfuel to the engine.
2. Doesn't sound like there is compression.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: Since I posted this the timing chaing was checked and it was loose so that was changed. Still not getting any compression and will not start. Spark plugs were also changed.
Old April 28th, 2008 | 10:14 PM
Site Moderator

Default RE: 03Cavalier dieing/not starting

The dying part, I would check the TCC solenoid. My cav did the same thing and I was told that that is a very common problem umong gm, especially cavys. Mine was an 89 and I believe it was right behind the right front tire. It is the ball looking thing if you take off the wheel well cover.

On the fuel problem, have you checked to see if the fuel pump is working correctly?
Old May 12th, 2008 | 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the suggestion I will definatley pass the information on...by the way can you tell me if there is a way to test the TCC Solenoid and how to do so?

Thanks[sm=smiley4.gif]
Old May 12th, 2008 | 8:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Heres a link that tells you step by step to test any GM TCC Solenoid. Good Luck!

http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/bl306b.htm
Old May 12th, 2008 | 10:08 PM
Banned

uuhmmm...isn't it a manual transmission? there is no torque converter in a manual.....
When you say there is no compression, have you checked it with a gauge? Also, how did you line up the cam and crank when re-installing the timing chain?
Old May 13th, 2008 | 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Yes it is a manual transmission.
Well, the car died while I was at work and a few people listening to me try to start it (who know way more about cars than I do) all said that it sounds like there is no compression. It hasn't actually been gauged.
One of them is actually working on my car and I'm trying to get him some tips on how to fix it.