Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

05 Cav fuel/temp gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Cav fuel/temp gauge problems

So I have a 05 Cav 2dr 5sp. I was driving home and I noticed both the temperature and fuel gauges were reading incorrectly, the fuel gauge said I had a ¾ of a tank left when I just filled up the day before and the temperature was saying it was only 100 degrees. When I got home and turned the car off both needles jumped about 90 degrees backwards if that makes sense. I restarted the car to see if they would correct themselves and they just moved farther and farther around so now they are about 180 degrees in the opposite direction. The temperature gauge has spun far enough around that it is now interfering with the speedometer. I checked the fuse to see if it had burned out and it was ok. I ran into this problem with the temperature gauge before, but I live in Arizona and attributed it to the heat. Now that it is affect both gauges I am wondering if it is something more serious. Any ideas?
Old July 18th, 2007, 8:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 05 Cav fuel/temp gauge problems

I would open the dash up & check the actual gages themselves. Sounds odd that fuel & temp would act up unless they share a common ground.

Hope this helps
Walter
Old July 22nd, 2007, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 05 Cav fuel/temp gauge problems

The gauges on your Cavi are digital, so if you were to unplug the harness on the back, with the engine off and reconnect it, the gauges will try to go all the way counter clockwise. That should set them back to the default position. Then when you restart your vehicle, they should be correct. If you have ever remove your needles however, it may be that they were put on at the wrong angle. Hope this helps.