Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2008, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Electrical problems?

As a disclaimer, I'm 22, and I don't know a lot about cars.. learning slowly, but not enough to figure out these kinds of problems.

I was a PROUD owner of a FORD Focus(please don't shoot me) 7 months ago. I rarely had problems with that car expect that the axle was off, which was my fault from hitting a curb. But that car was totaled in a bad accident, hence why I bought the (2002) Cavalier I own now. It's a 2-d and has 95k. When I got it, it was great, it's better on gas than my Ford was... but then the troubles started.

Basically, I started noticing that my turn signals began going a lot faster... like a constant tick. This went on for a couple weeks, and then one day, I was getting mail and I had my hazards on and I noticed that they weren't on in the back, just in the front. So I checked all the lights and I found out that none of my lights in the back worked.. no backup lights, no brake lights, no turn signals. Obviously I checked the fuse box and replaced the ones from the back... still didn't work, but one of the little fuse things were fried. I took it to the dealership shop where I got it and they told me the multifunction switch had went out and that they'd replace it (which put me out another 150 bucks). It's only been 4 days since then, and it was all working fine until this morning... the turn signal on the left side is starting it's downhill descent again.. doing the really fast flicker and the light on that side is no longer working.. my speaker is also acting up on that side, like it's blown, and that started this morning as well, but I don't know if it's related.

I don't want to be melodramatic but I can barely afford to live and pay my car payment and insurance right now.. so the last thing I need is another car part to replace. I mean I got a decent car so that I could take road trips and such and not have to deal with these kinds of problems, but I guess I don't live in car-reality here.

Please help... even if you could tell me what you think is wrong with it, because obviously the dealership doesn't know wtf they're doing with a chevy since they only sell fords!
Old April 7th, 2008, 5:41 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Electrical problems?

I'd be checking the ground circuit of the lights. A poor ground could burn up the switch and blow fuses.
All the the lights accually ground inside of the car under the carpet next to the drivers seat. A couple of the rear lights ground on the right side of the car. I'd make that a starting point
Old April 20th, 2008, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Electrical problems?

do you have an after market stereo if you do check out the wires on that and around it