Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2003 chevy cavalier no gas pressure

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2012, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 chevy cavalier no gas pressure

The other morning I tried starting my car and it wouldn't start. The engine was spinning but not firing.

We changed the spark plugs and still nothing.

My mechanic changed the fuel pump and the pcm and it still won't fire. all engine lights are off. Fuel pressure is still null.

Any ideas??
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an Ignition Control Module on the coil pack.That does go bad and will stop the plugs from firing.
Old October 13th, 2012, 5:55 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you hear the fuel pump prime then shut off when you turn your key on (not start)?
If not, have you checked for a blown fuse or bad fuel pump relay?
Old October 13th, 2012, 6:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jbella09
The other morning I tried starting my car and it wouldn't start. The engine was spinning but not firing.

My mechanic changed the fuel pump and the pcm and it still won't fire. all engine lights are off. Fuel pressure is still null.

Any ideas??
First off changing the fuel pump won't make the plugs fire.
And its not likely that all plugs would fail at the same time.
First thing is to work back from the plugs till you get them to fire.

Next step would be to take care of the fuel pressure.
Whole different problem.

If you replace the fuel pump, don't use OEM.
Pay the couple extra bucks and get the other one.
I went through 3 in one week, and they went out almost in the same spot beside the road.
That was kind of freaky.
Lee
Old October 13th, 2012, 7:37 PM
Site Ambassador

Originally Posted by jbella09
Any ideas??
Of course the engine isn't going to fire with no fuel pressure. But he never said anything about having no spark?
Old October 14th, 2012, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Cavalier hard starting?
Ok, I'm at a complete loss here. Driving home from work (which is 90 miles from home roundtrip, so logging serious highway miles) 2003 chevy cavalier shudders and starts to lose power. All electrical, interior stuff still works, but no reaction when I press the gas, and then it dies. Towed it home, and replaced the fuel pump. Starts hard, and takes several tries. Check engine light on and trac control off light is on. Took it to AutoZone, and the code for the O2 sensor comes up. Replaced that. Still starts very hard and takes several tries. Bought a new fuel pressure regulator, installed it and added injection cleaner to gas. Still takes several tries to start. Check engine light and trac control off light are still on. I've tried everything I can think of and am at the end of my rope. Any ideas?

Last edited by Camaro 69; October 14th, 2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spam link in sig
Old October 14th, 2012, 3:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The low trac light will probably clear up when you get it running right. I'd suggest work on what code is causing the check engine light. Post the code so it can be tracked down to resolve your issue.
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Site Ambassador

arah9227, if you're not a spam bot, please start your own thread and not hijack this one.
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Im leaning toward a fuel regulator prob...but have you checked the fuel pump fuse.
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

which o2 sensor was it if its the rear o2 then you probably have a bad catylitic converter...please excuse my spelling...it is probably clogged and not allowing enough air flow which will kill the engine

Quick Reply: 2003 chevy cavalier no gas pressure