Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

92 Cavalier stalling

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2006, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Cavalier stalling

Hello, I have a 95 Chevy cav. 2.2 auto. After driving the car until warm when I come to a stop the car will stall and not idle in drive. It will restart and idle in park but when put into gear it stalls. I do not have any MILs or codes, have cleaned the throttle body, cant find the problem. Would the transmission set a check engine light if this were the problem? Any suggestions? Where do I start to find the problem? In advance I would like to thank you for your help!
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 92 Cavalier stalling

You might want to check the sparks plugs and the wires...
a quick way to do that is to let engine run in the dark, and check for sparks around the spark plugs...
Old August 30th, 2006, 2:47 PM
CF Senior Member

You are better off pulling each plug and looking at them then testing them. How long has it been sense the fuel filter was changed. Sounds more like a fuel or air problem to me.
If you can it wouldn't hurt to have your fuel pressure checked either.
Old December 5th, 2006, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

My car is doing the same thing. i have a cavalier z-24 6cyl. 93'
but i dont think this has anything to do with your ignition system especially if it will idle just fine in park and nuetral. i think your problem is the torque converter silenoid. it is probably just stuck in the locked position. this acts as if you have a manual transmission and you let the clutch up without letting off the break. its not an expensive fix, it can be tricky to get to. If you dont have the money for a repair than simply find the connection for the torque converter silenoid and disconnect it. it will make your gas mileage go down but it will run. the only thing i have not been able to find is the location of the tcc silenoid connection
good luck buddy