Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

95 cavalier 2.2L 5speed wont start

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2010, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 95 cavalier 2.2L 5speed wont start

Ok I've been working on this car for a few weeks now and can’t fix it. It started with a dead batt I jumped it and tried to go to work had lots of problems driving then it died again before I got to work. Had it towed home where I look at the batt again and saw that it now cracked. So i got a new batt tried starting my car and the batt died again so I looked at the alternator and found its electrical connection had broken. So I picked up a new alt with a new belt put it all in and the car still will not start. What happens when I try to start it is one of two things one it will crank at a good speed for about 1-2 tries (that’s 3 cycles a try totaling 6 at best) then the new batt is drained. Or it will crank fire once or twice at best very very hard then die out again. I do not know what to look at I can hear the fuel pump priming I can guess there’s spark if its firing every now and then. IDK what could be wrong MAP, IAC, TPS, CKP sensor maybe a short in the wiring?

THKS for any help.